Soon to Own SoCal

Rallye

Hey guys,

Going to look at a '12 Si Sedan on Tuesday, hoping to take it home same day. Never owned a civic, test drove an '08 (ex, not si) about two years ago and loved it, but I noticed the car had some unreported damage on the passenger side (door didn't line up quite right, lot more orange peel in the paint vs driver side), and I ended up keeping my car. Well, time is up on my car and I want another small car, but want a little more power. The Si seems to fit the bill better than anything.

I'm looking for 2012+ Civic Si Sedan. Preferably with Nav, but not a deal breaker as there are tons of aftermarket options. I just prefer seamless integration of oem units. My current car is black, and I don't want that again. Holy hell, what a pain in the ***. I'd like white, but the car I'm looking at is blue.

All in all, the car will be primarily commuter, but I may do some minor mods. Nothing like my old b5 Audi, but some minor things. Willing to take suggestions on that. I've never owned any Honda's, except a lawn mower.

Reactions: Nix
Check the vin and ask about the oil consumption issues. If the vin is within the range, find out if the warranty work has been done with new pistons and rings. Are you buying it from a Honda dealer?

Other than that, good luck with the shopping!

Oil issue: Maybe print this out and take it with you.

Service Bulletin 12-069, October 23, 2012

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

Link to thread about oil consumption issue:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/does-your-si-burn-oil.4694/

Biggest thing would be what nix mentioned above. The 2013's don't have that.

Wow, thanks. Just checked the VIN, and it's a later build. But still good to know for other searches. This car is from a Honda dealer, and it's a cpo. But another dealership has several other si sedans that I'll be looking at if this falls through.

Willing to take suggestions on that.

If you do wind up buying a 12' or 13' make sure to check for what Nix said, and then from what I've heard the best place to start modifying is upgrading the rear sway bar. Its simple, inexpensive, and gives you a good improvement in handling.

I hate to say this (I own a '12). My cousin just came down and bought a 13 and I got to drive it. For some reason everything just feels a ton better. Interior quality, ride quality, sound deadening, even the way the engine ran and the shifting just felt better :(

Took a look at a '13 w/8k miles for $20k. Curb rash on the wheels, few scratches on the body, and needs new front tires. All that adds up to dollars off the price for me. Still need to sell my other car first, but once that happens, I'm driving straight there to buy.

My cousin got a mint 13 Si sedan, no issues, Windows tinted, trunk tray, 10k miles, he paid 18k for it... I wouldn't pay 20k for a Si that has ANYTHING wrong with it, but that's my opinion.

Took a look at a '13 w/8k miles for $20k. Curb rash on the wheels, few scratches on the body, and needs new front tires. All that adds up to dollars off the price for me. Still need to sell my other car first, but once that happens, I'm driving straight there to buy.
20k is a bit too high for that condition. Like Bulkybear said I got mine with nothing wrong on it and it was practically brand new with 10k and I got it after my trade in with a 2007 civic EX for a grand total of 13K (18k Original Price) from a dealership. I would keep searching and you'll find one lots cheaper and better condition or try to lower their price on it.

That's what I meant by 'adds up to dollars off the price.' However, I found a '13 with Nav for $19.5 w/21k miles. But it had obvious repairs done to the drivers side. Vinyl was missing on the driver side and it was obviously repaired at a sub-par shop, given the failure to remove anything before painting. Overspray like nobody's business. I left an offer of $15k on the table. Given the condition, that's the most I'll pay for that car, and I'm only willing to take it because it's the ONLY '13 white sedan w/nav I've been able to find so far, which is EXACTLY what I want.

Hope you can find something you like! Patients is a virtue if you really want to find the right car and make little to no compromises. I personally refuse to buy any car with decent/any body damage in 2 years time especially one that went to a sub-par shop. Just reflects the type of ownership in my mind and would rather find a clean well taken care of car. The potential of it not beat on increases as well but most don't buy this car to drive easy. That's why i waited 4 months from the first day i wanted a newer car to save enough money to put down on a new one so i could ease all my worries i had to buy used again.

Just make sure your happy with your choice, give everything you doubt you might not like 2/3 double guesses and sleep on any decision before pulling the trigger. Just my 2 cents, has worked great for me in finding good used deals and deciding what I can compromise with or not. Good luck!:thumbsup:

I appreciate the suggestions. I actually looked at some new Si's last night online. The biggest problem is not my patience or the money. The problem is my current car's reliability. I have to do a round trip of 1500 miles every three weeks for work. I head up next week, then I'm riding with my boss the following week. So the way I see it, I have six weeks to get a car.

I appreciate the suggestions. I actually looked at some new Si's last night online. The biggest problem is not my patience or the money. The problem is my current car's reliability. I have to do a round trip of 1500 miles every three weeks for work. I head up next week, then I'm riding with my boss the following week. So the way I see it, I have six weeks to get a car.

Completely understandable, i was lucky enough to have a very reliable car while i was looking. The transmission did go out on it though a few months prior to me buying my Si but working at a toyota dealer as a mechanic driving a toyota i put a new transmission in for about 400$ out the door. Was very lucky but none the less hope you can work it out. I'm sure you wont regret to much getting an Si no matter what you find:vtec:

Finding a 2013 Si sedan with Nav for a decent price is a pain in the ***. Coupes go for decent prices, but not the sedans. I can't find a clean example for less than $21k. Coupes are going for $17-18k.

Back