Speaker/amp question

R_K_17

I've tried searching but to no avail;

I understand that the stock amp in the 2012 LX sedan is approximately 120-130 watts, but the stock speakers have a magnet the size of a toonie and only run at about 10 watts rms.. Would it be possible for me to cheap out and simply purchase a set of 4 speakers (each running at 35 watts rms) and hook them up to the existing stock amp? I currently have an Alpine type - S 10" in the trunk running on a mono amp at 250 watts rms.. It's a terrible imbalance as most of the mid range tones are completely drowned out. I noticed this when I put on a pair of headphones and listened to the same songs as I played through the cars system. Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING the sub, but the speakers are just too wimpy for my liking, and just doesn't cut it. Would this be a nice/decent upgrade? Is this even possible without frying the stock amp?

Any and all advice is much appreciated
Thanks in advance guys

Wow, just typed a paragraph that was irrelevant. Ok, had to look up an LX stereo. Says you have 160W amp with six speakers. What they don't mention is that is peak. Your continuous or RMS rating is much lower, maybe more like 60 W. I had the premium setup and was told that my 360W peak was really 120 continous so I'm just dividing by 2. But to answer your question, yes you could cheap out and replace the speakers (do you mean replace the tweeters and mids in the front?) I personally wouldn't swap out the tweeters and mids for a coaxial but that's me. As to whether or not you'll be happy with that remains to be seen. Your stock amp will not push much out for the speakers so while it will probably sound clearer not sure how loud it would be. Essentially, your amp will push much less than your speakers can handle. Still, I think they'll sound much better than the stock speakers. I had the premium sound and thought it sucked so bad I replaced everything that came with it to get happy. Good luck with whatever you do!

Also, seen it in a bunch of forums but I'm still a bit of a noob. What is 'bump'

"bump" - to bump the thread into the latest new post list for views

Yeah webby's a pro beast lol always offers great insight and tries to help. much appreciated.
Also, thanks for your response Ron, but i think you've got the wrong info on my set-up. I've actually only got 4 speakers and no tweeters; the 6 speaker set-up starts on the slightly higher models, i.e., ex.. ex-l... etc.
My speaker configs are as follows:
1 in each front door,
0 in each back door,
2 in the dash (or whatever you want to call it :P) behind the passenger seats, under the rear windshield.
All speakers are 6.5''

So in response to yours, Ron, the speakers I'm looking at run at 35w/rms, and you're saying that it would be a significant upgrade, correct? However, my main concern is whether or not my amp would be fried running at peak capacity constantly... Obviously I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest way out,- but not if it's at the cost of having to potentially replace my equipment, in which case, I'd be shelling out big bucks anyhow.

Would it be safe to say that a much better solution would be to just grab a used multichannel amp off of craigslist?

that's weird. I got the info from the' build a civic online'. I've heard from guys on different threads that the latest version of EX-L premium sound has the 160 W amp vs the 320 in mine. I bought mine last Aug so I'm wondering if Honda powered down on all the sound setups...

Ok, well that makes it much easier to deal with your speakers. You will not fry your amp if by underpowering your speakers. My front stage Clarus 6.5 are rated at 100W continuous and 250W peak. The amp I have pushing it is at 50 W continuous (well maybe more, it's an old school cheater amp), my sub is rated at 600W while the amp is 500W (all at 4 ohm) Bottom line, you don't hurt amps with speakers that are rated higher. I've always had speakers that were rated at higher than the amp was putting out. Very easy to blow the speakers. Nothing wrong with your approach. It'll probably sound better and you should be good. If not, then invest in an amp. What speakers are you looking at and roughly what are you looking to spend? Next question, how much are you willing to invest if the speakers don't scratch the itch?

on the 2012 sedan
LX = 160 watts 4 speakers
EX/EX-L = 160 watts 6 speakers

on the 2012 coupe
LX = 160 watts 6 speakers
EX/EX-L = 360 watts 6 speakers plus subwoofer

Wow, again, thanks so much for such an indepth reply.
To be honest with you, I don't really have a specific set of speakers in mind, I've just been browsing on bestbuy for some cheaper speakers, and they generally seem to be in the 35 watt range for the low-end prices and models. I'm definitely open to suggestions, seeing as your knowledge of audio tech greatly surpasses mine. I listen to every type of music, from Johnny Cash to Kanye West, but the lack of power really kicks in when I'm blasting music down the highway and the road noise kicks in. I have the treble turned up all the way and the bass at something like +4 right now on the stock speakers. The high's are decent, but they just sound so "tinny" and have absoloutely no mid-range to em'. And like I said before, my friend pulled out the speakers in a 9th gen and saw that the magnets were literally the size of a toonie, so I'm guessing low quality stocks the root of my problems. What's best in your opinion? I'm HOPING to spend around 200 in all (without installation; I've got a friend who can do it well), but willing to spend up to ~300.

Webby, you once again prove that you are the ultimate mod. Thanks for those specs.

Whew, car audio speaker opinion's are like a**holes, everyone has one...Let's shoot for just replacing the speakers and leave everything stock as the goal. I will say unequivocally that in my opinion, by far the best value for the money is Hybrid-Audio. Period. Bar none. They are relatively new. They dominate SQL competitions on their high end speakers but their low end stuff is still so much better than anyone. Ok, just got off the phone. It's too bad you don't live here in VA. Gabe would have hooked you up.lol Here's what I would suggest, get a set of hybrid audio Mirus 5 1/2 for your fronts, will cost $149 on sale. Ideally, you do both front and back but that takes you right to $300. This would give you the best sound for the buck, and allow you to easily upgrade to a small 4 channel amp if you want to get the absolute best clarity out of it. But, the rear speakers are just rear fill so i would say if you don't want to go with two Mirus, get the fronts done and then find something you like for the rear deck. I would use Crutchfield.com for those speakers. If you don't want to spring for that kind of cash, I think the same principle would apply, spend more on the front two speakers than the rear and if that's what you'd like to do, I've got different recommendations, just let me know. Go to their website just to see what the company is about. Their high end is the best in the world, but all of their speakers kill it. BTW, you probably notice I get as fired up about car audio as most guys get about hondata and turbo kits, lol

http://hybrid-audio.com/products/

If that is too much, here are guaranteed winners, ARC Audio XDi 602's for $119 either two sets or paired with XDi 462 for $89. Either combination will be right in your lower range and will sound great. Another not as well known brand unless you're into car audio. They make some of the finest amps for sound quality and their speakers are really good (one level below Hybrid-Audio) You have to order those from their site: arcaudio.com

it's awesome that you get so fired up about car audio; this way I actually trust my source of help lol
I will probably go for the hybrid audio's seeing as right now, my speakers suck ***.. -I need a significant upgrade (obviously, like I said before though: without spending big bucks).
Here's what I would suggest, get a set of hybrid audio Mirus 5 1/2 for your fronts, will cost $149 on sale.
Also, is that a typo, or are you intending to suggest 5.5's instead of the regular sized 6.5's?

thanks for all the help man

Ok, great choice! I promise you will be happy. They will make your stock speakers sound like the pieces of junk that they are! Wasn't a typo, the 6.5" are a better fit, will sound better (if and when you get an amp to power them) again, wish we had this conversation earlier, just got rid of a PPI 2 channel that would have worked great. If you go that route, craigslist, ebay or actual car audio forums are good places to go. Back to the speakers, my concern was the mounting depth of the 6.5's. My Clarus component midbass was 78.5mm deep. My stereo guys said they had never seen any so deep. The Mirus 6.5's are 63mm and the 5.5's are 57mm. I don't know how much room you have which is why I said 5.5. If your buddy is an installer, you might want to have him measure. Mine required some metal cutting to get them to fit. Great place to get them if they aren't available near you is http://store.12velectronics.com/ Free shipping. Ok, so if you go 6.5's (I would if they fit) then I would add the XDi 462 for $89 which puts you at $258 or if you want to bump up to your limit then get the XDi 602 for $30 more. I don't think it's worth it to go Mirus in front and back. I have Clarus' in the front and Imagine 6.5's in my deck. You want some rear fill but it's not nearly as important. If these don't make you go Wow, then it isn't the speakers' faults, it's the stock amp but I'm hoping that won't be the case. You will have the best sounding speakers for the budget that you set which to me is how I've always approached it. Bang for the buck!

Back