Started using recommended shift points

I thought myself how to drive stick on a 7th gen Si and so I'm no expert but on the recommended shift points is it safe/recommended to keep it at the highest rpm before shifting? ex, when I'm driving thru town and speed limit is 25 mph and shift to 3rd is not til 29 mph I should shift too 3rd or leave on 2nd?

Cruising speeds I keep it in between 2k-3k so I shift to 3rd for 25mph. Anything under 2k rpm cruising just dogs IMO

0-100mph?

Start at 2000rpm. Seriously. At least for a 2012 it's the best you can do without actual launch control. Just back off the throttle a touch so you don't chirp and spin too much, unless that's your goal.
As others have mentioned, shift at redline. (personal preference is slightly different, like shifting slightly 'pre-redline' into 2nd and 3rd. You never want to hit fuel cut-off, tho one solution is to raise redline to 7,600, which is still reasonable) OR F-it, eliminate redline and live like a man!

Anyway, if only going 100mph 4th gear will get you there. 3rd gear will take you to 77mph and after an easy drop to 4th you'll be done in a matter of seconds. Then you're on to the next stop light.

But it's such a shame to stop there. 5th gear feels perfect around 125. Unfortunately most stop lights are too close together for that.

Ever thought about joining a bunch of maniacs (and one joker) at The Dragon?

0-100mph?

Start at 2000rpm. Seriously. At least for a 2012 it's the best you can do without actual launch control. Just back off the throttle a touch so you don't chirp and spin too much, unless that's your goal.
As others have mentioned, shift at redline. (personal preference is slightly different, like shifting slightly 'pre-redline' into 2nd and 3rd. You never want to hit fuel cut-off, tho one solution is to raise redline to 7,600, which is still reasonable) OR F-it, eliminate redline and live like a man!

Anyway, if only going 100mph 4th gear will get you there. 3rd gear will take you to 77mph and after an easy drop to 4th you'll be done in a matter of seconds. Then you're on to the next stop light.

But it's such a shame to stop there. 5th gear feels perfect around 125. Unfortunately most stop lights are too close together for that.

:ohsnap::vtec:

0-100mph?

...except when you're at 69 mph and go to grab 4th and pop it back into 2nd. Tap that tach needle on the dash. That'll wake you up for sure. Might need to change your shorts and perhaps other things too that aren't so cheap.

...except when you're at 69 mph and go to grab 4th and pop it back into 2nd. Tap that tach needle on the dash. That'll wake you up for sure. Might need to change your shorts and perhaps other things too that aren't so cheap.

If you shift using the shift points specified, that's usually around 4000-4500 rpm and lands you in the 3000 rpm range. That's not horribly conservative and it's not overly aggressive.
It's totally fine to tell your girlfriend/wife/"s.o." -- whatever to keep it under 4,500rpm. After all, if anybody destroys your car you want it to be You. It's only right. Can you imagine coming home and Girlfriend 23 wrapped your pride and joy around a poll? Like, wtf ... that's my job honey.

Back