Swapping OE Sway Bars for Optimal Handling

spdandpwr

NY / CT
So, I was sleuthing on the internet and found that the front stabilizer bar (sway bar) is bigger on the ILX than on its civic brethren. In fact it's 20mm, 2mm bigger than the si and 3 mm bigger than the non-si civic. So, as people try to optimize the handling of their Si and non-si civics, it might be worth upgrading the ILX swap bar as a means of controlling oversteer from a bigger rear bar.

for comparison the eibach kit is Front: 24mm & Rear: 19mm

Exactly, it's something worth considering for those who get a rear rsb for their si/ex and want to maintain their stock balance, without going overboard. Not to mention that you can get it for under $50 shipped.

buying it from acura it's that cheap? Link?

Anyone have an idea of the diameter of the rear ILX bar? I have an Acura dealership across from where I work, if no one knows, I might have to get nosy and measure one with a digital caliper.

A larger front sway will help reduce oversteer but, in Civics and probably the ILX as well the main problem in handling is excessive understeer.

For better handling in these cars a larger rear sway bar and a smaller front or removing the front completely is the way to go.

upgrading to the larger ILX front will make the car have more understeer.

Yeah dude, larger rear sway, leave the front as-is unless you are looking for serious track day handling. Also you can make improvements over the stock alignment/camber settings that won't eat your tires.

A larger front sway will help reduce oversteer but, in Civics and probably the ILX as well the main problem in handling is excessive understeer.

For better handling in these cars a larger rear sway bar and a smaller front or removing the front completely is the way to go.

upgrading to the larger ILX front will make the car have more understeer.

Right, but if you're using a 22mm in the rear, with an 18mm in the front (stock size), most people won't be able to know how to properly handle the car and that sudden shift in handling characteristics. Upgrading to a 20mm for the front will allow the car to retain some of its balance.

By balancing out the upgraded rear sway with a larger front sway... what would be the point then? There would be no improvement in handling.

Right, but if you're using a 22mm in the rear, with an 18mm in the front (stock size), most people won't be able to know how to properly handle the car and that sudden shift in handling characteristics.

That's like saying people who have only driven their parents hand-me-down cars won't be able to handle the aggressive acceleration, handling, and torque of the new civic si!

As far as throwing off the cars balance, if anything the understeer is so severe that the balance is off from the factory.

The change is not that dramatic. It's a minor upgrade in the rear going that size. This is not going to turn your FWD Grandma's grocery getter super safe understeering civic into a tail happy drift machine.

By balancing out the upgraded rear sway with a larger front sway... what would be the point then? There would be no improvement in handling.

A sway bar effectively increases the spring rate on whichever side is compressed the MOST. If the sway bar were absolutely solid with no twist so there's a 100% coupling between each side then an attempt to compress one spring actually becomes an attempt to compress both springs. It doubles the spring rate. If the bar has some twist, then it may only increase the spring rate by say 50% on whichever side is compressed the most.

I've got a progress sway bar on the rear of my 06 Si and it very noticeably improved the willingness of my car to turn in.. it was a big handling upgrade for sure. For those of you that live in areas where it snows, it definitely makes the rear end quite nervous in bad traction situations. In the most extreme case, the car actually started sliding sideways on its own from the rear due to the type of snow I was on.. but this is rare. Just be aware what you're getting into - 99% of the time it's a big gain for handling rather than a liability.

Thanks form the info on this thread. I dont know much about handling and was looking to upgrade at some point. I love my 12' si, no doubt. But I wish it handled like that gti I test drove.

So much bad info on the internet. Bottom line is this... increase size of rear swaybar from stock and it will make the car faster through corners (handle better). If you increase front and rear from stock, it will make the car corner flatter but not necessary improve it's speed through the corner.

So, if you want a better handling and make your Civic faster through corners, increase the rear but do NOT increase the front. Anyone who says you should increase the front better give me a very good reason why other than to keep the tire's contact patch on the ground because that's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Now if it's a RWD car, that's different.... but the Civic ain't that.

Chris

Back