Tires, and feeling more centered

Bob-blehead

Midland, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
EX Sedan
I own a '12 Civic EX Sedan. I love how quick and nimble the car is in slow speed, quick maneuver situations (parking lot). One thing I don't like, however, is that the steering does not become heavier at higher speeds. Yeah, nice for quick lane changes when needed, but not great for keeping the car centered. The car just moves around way too much at 70 mph with small inputs, especially when they are not intended (turning to check blind spots, things like that). This is not a problem with my Rav4, or at least not so much so.

So as I was driving my son home from lacrosse practice the other night, I was thinking about this, and I wondered if something simple like a different set of tires may help give the car a more centered feeling. And for those who will ask, yes the current tires are at proper pressure, and I recently had the dealership check the alignment. This isn't a matter of the vehicle pulling one way or the other on its own. It is a matter of very light steering at higher speeds.

And yes, I understand that there are a number of factors that can have an effect on how the car drives (from a design perspective). The suspension, the tires, and the type of power steering (and other factors) all play their part. I've been thinking about putting snow tires on this car anyway, so that is what brought my mind around to question whether a different brand or model of tire would help give the steering a more centered feeling. And I'm not asking this question in regard to the snow tires . . . rather, in terms of all-seasons or touring tires. Or, if there is another relatively inexpensive mod that could be made to help this matter, I'd be willing to listen to that. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

Actually the car is very centred(get on a straight road and let go of the steering wheel, it will hold it's own line...... It's your input that needs to adjust...... And it's not just our Hondas that feel sensitive, it's the "steer-by-wire" that leaves no slack in the steering that gives us the never ending attempts to want to correct the line, and as much as I like it, it is still a pain at the same time, finding a looser grip with your hand will do wonders, and time seems to help as well......

There have been write ups about how SBW can be programed for by any car manufacture(but as far as I know no after market stuff available), and test driver reviews do mention this about different makes, and say what they think about the sensitivity variances. so it's pretty much a live with it thing.

On a short note(as much as I like to hate ppl texting, or even just holding a phone while driving, it is also my belief that the newer cars with SBW are not helping ppl to stop from drifting out of their lanes......... Put the two together and watch out.

Yeah, I hear ya Monk. It is definitely a love/hate relationship with this part of the vehicle. I do love how the car just goes where I point it, when I INTEND it to in a certain direction. It is that fine, UNINTENDED input that I have to be careful about. And that is what I am looking to tame . . . but apparently there is no "remedy." Oh well, I was just hoping that someone had found something that helped.

I'm an experienced driver . . . so I know to take this into consideration. The problem is, the car is driven primarily by my son, who has been driving only about two years. He's my main concern.

Yeah, I hear ya Monk. It is definitely a love/hate relationship with this part of the vehicle. I do love how the car just goes where I point it, when I INTEND it to in a certain direction. It is that fine, UNINTENDED input that I have to be careful about. And that is what I am looking to tame . . . but apparently there is no "remedy." Oh well, I was just hoping that someone had found something that helped.

I'm an experienced driver . . . so I know to take this into consideration. The problem is, the car is driven primarily by my son, who has been driving only about two years. He's my main concern.

It's hard to get ppl to try something new after having been doing something for years, I would suggest trying to keep your hands below the 3&9 on straight roads(I have found it less tipsy), and to go one step further, I just raise my inside hand when turning, and half way though the turn my hands are basically at 3&9.

Even if you don't like it, it's something you may want to help your son with while he's new.

Back