Torn between Civic Si and Mazdaspeed3...

Anyone else do a comparison on these? I really like them both and wonder what pros and cons this community has to offer.
My list:
Civic Si
Pros - reliability, better MPG, nicer/newer interior, smooth clutch, smoother powerband
Cons - less HP/torque, no xenon headlights

Mazdaspeed3
Pros - HP/torque, Xenon headlights, track ready, cost
Cons - lower MPG, peaky powerband

I've also driven the GLI, GTI, Focus (not ST), Mazda 3. While the Civic Si feels like the better initial daily driver, the MS3 is intoxicating, and I have plenty of backroads in my daily commute. The Si, however, is exciting to drive...period. I can't make up my mind!!!!
Any thoughts?
J

I had this debate about a month ago and chose the SI.
I think it comes down to what are you going to use your car for mostly, I see "track ready" is a PRO you have listed for the MS3. If you plan on racing at the track alot, hands down get the MS3, but if this is going to be your daily driver, I would recomend the SI. The interior feels a lot more comfortable in the SI, and the shifting is a HUGE bonus.

When I was pricing them, they were pretty close, sticker vs sticker in my area, you could get an SI W/ Navi for the same price as a MS3 w/o. You can also get a good deal on 2012 SI's if there are any in your area, becuase Honda wants them gone.

And as far as the Light, depending on how nice you want them, you can upgrade to projector xenons in the SI for anywere from $300-$1500.

I have test driven the 2007 MS3 (when I was car shopping 5 years ago) and the torque steer was frequent. You would have to get used to it bc it can get very annoying. I would suggest that the best thing to do is to test drive the cars and compare both of them based on your interests, needs, and how they can benefit you in your commutes, etc. Honestly, I would have gone either way before I purchased my 07 Si.

As Dar-Dar said, test drive both, even more than once, and see which one fits you more. Do not rush in the decision and it should work out. MS3 has a lot of torque steer but some people like it, I still like the car though I bought the Si.

To each their own, but I can't get past the way it looks... :bleh:

Mazda3-MPS-BBR-1.jpg

What about WRX or Scion FRS? similar price points more or less, similar performance more or less. That if you are in the 2 door market as long as FRS is concerned. I will admit my sins and say that I would have maybe bought a FRS if 2 door was for me :hiding: US pricing considered.

Last edited:
What about WRX or Scion FRS? similar price points more or less, similar performance more or less. That if you are in the 2 door market as long as FRS is concerned. I will admit my sins and say that I would have maybe bought a FRS if 2 door was for me :hiding: US pricing considered.
I was SUPER close to buying a FR-S, but as a not small person, I had to pass. I love the fact there they are still new, so kind of rare on the streets, but there is NO room on the inside.

not many on the streets? me and a buddy of mine (he owns a 12 si also) met at pep boys. we were there for nomore then 15 min and two frs pulled in. nice cars but too expensive considering i only paid a littel over 20k for my si

btw if i had to do it all over again i think i would reconsider and maybe get the speed3. it was only like 3k more then i paid for my si and it's turbo with xeons. u get to keep the warranty also. idk how reliable they are though

Anyone else do a comparison on these? I really like them both and wonder what pros and cons this community has to offer.
My list:
Civic Si
Pros - reliability, better MPG, nicer/newer interior, smooth clutch, smoother powerband
Cons - less HP/torque, no xenon headlights

Mazdaspeed3
Pros - HP/torque, Xenon headlights, track ready, cost
Cons - lower MPG, peaky powerband

I've also driven the GLI, GTI, Focus (not ST), Mazda 3. While the Civic Si feels like the better initial daily driver, the MS3 is intoxicating, and I have plenty of backroads in my daily commute. The Si, however, is exciting to drive...period. I can't make up my mind!!!!
Any thoughts?
J

I don't own a '13, which has even more enticing qualities than the '12, perhaps, but here's my take:

The '12 Si was not even on my list to test drive last August when I was see-sawing between the '12 mazdaspeed3 and the VW GTi. I drove the GTI in both stick and paddle. Loved the paddle hands down. Then drove the Mazda. Loved it, too . . . FAST! Comparatively, the VW was better bc of 0% financing, but the MAzda had major balls and steering wheel controls, etc. I did not want a stick . . . I deal with traffic jams.

I had a set price in my head that I would not exceed, and the GTI with paddles was outside it. And the stick was just no fun. The paddle shifter added @$1.5k.
So I was all set to buy the speed3, even though it was a stick, because it had serious grunt, steering controls and 4drs. But they had shi*** financing. I knew it was year end and wanted almost free money.

As it so happened, that same month, our '04 Element needed servicing, so I lookd at the Si while I was there at the brand new mega Honda dealership that opened nearby.

(I wish I had been a 9thgenner at the time bc I would have known what a bad rap the '12 got and could have gotten a better deal). When I saw all of the std features, including the imid, bluetooth, the sunroof, 201hp normally aspirated engine, etc, I decided to drive it. Did I mention that the Si 4 dr was still under the GTI 2 dr price? I loved the interior too (CBP 4dr), seemed more refined than the others (save the GTI dash . . . btw I semi-hated the GTI plaid seats), and I decided to buy the Si. But here's the kicker.

Already the owner of one Honda, I know how reliable they are. This brand new mega-Honda dealership where I test drove it is 3 mi from my house, and addied free oil changes, drive thru car washes, etc. for life . . . I was sold.

The VW dealership was 10 mi away, in a tired old '50s building, and looked like it could go belly-up any day. I've owned various VWs, and they are not reliable after about 50-60k miles. They just aren't. So, too, the Mazda dealership was a sister dealership to VW, right across the street. Another tired old '50s building, cramped quarters, with moderately reliable Mazdas for sale. Add to it that both the VW and the Mspeed3 were both turbocharged little 4s, which might be prone to problems down the road, and I decided to go with the Si, which has a bulletproof NA 4cyl.

Same horsepower, normally aspirated, better std features, 4 drs, reliability, best-in-class resale price, sunroof, etc., for less money? And then Honda America ponied up 0.9% financing, and the dealership threw in synth oil changes etc., for life?

Did I make the right choice? Only time will tell. I love the car, hated the rev hang (solved) and shiity paint and cheap mats, and I'm sure I would have had fun in any of these 3 cars. But here I am, on this site, spending much time on this post and having a blast modding my Si.

Hope this helps.

HotDogJohnny

Easiest way to put this ms3 is great at one thing, which is speed, the si is good at everything. The si is a more well rounded car in my opinion. Even my brother gets jealous of the way the civic drives compared to his ms3. I hope this helps.

I don't own a '13, which has even more enticing qualities than the '12, perhaps, but here's my take:

Hope this helps.

HotDogJohnny

Thanks for the feedback HDJohnny, I agree with the all-around refinement of the Si, the MS3 is much more of a beast. I looked at both again yesterday and decided the Si was more in line with what I'm looking for.

Priopal and DarDar made good points as well regarding torque steer and pricing. They are offering really good prices on the MS3 in my area right now, but the torque steer is a different issue altogether. As I drove the Si yesterday I realized the torque steer is almost non-existent. Very nice in a hot compact.

In the end, I'm looking at a silver 2013 Si sedan with nav. I don't really care about the nav, but its what my dealer has in the color I want. I'm really picky about the color and I love the silver, if I were going for the MS3 it'd be silver as well. Ive also had a WRX, GLI, Legacy gt....all silver.

Now all I have to do is unload a 2012 Ford Fusion.....ugh.
J

The '12 Si was not even on my list to test drive last August when I was see-sawing between the '12 mazdaspeed3 and the VW GTi. I drove the GTI in both stick and paddle. Loved the paddle hands down. Then drove the Mazda. Loved it, too . . . FAST! Comparatively, the VW was better bc of 0% financing, but the MAzda had major balls and steering wheel controls, etc. I did not want a stick . . . I deal with traffic jams.

I had a set price in my head that I would not exceed, and the GTI with paddles was outside it. And the stick was just no fun. The paddle shifter added @$1.5k.
So I was all set to buy the speed3, even though it was a stick, because it had serious grunt, steering controls and 4drs. But they had shi*** financing. I knew it was year end and wanted almost free money.

As it so happened, that same month, our '04 Element needed servicing, so I lookd at the Si while I was there at the brand new mega Honda dealership that opened nearby.

(I wish I had been a 9thgenner at the time bc I would have known what a bad rap the '12 got and could have gotten a better deal). When I saw all of the std features, including the imid, bluetooth, the sunroof, 201hp normally aspirated engine, etc, I decided to drive it. Did I mention that the Si 4 dr was still under the GTI 2 dr price? I loved the interior too (CBP 4dr), seemed more refined than the others (save the GTI dash . . . btw I semi-hated the GTI plaid seats), and I decided to buy the Si. But here's the kicker.

Already the owner of one Honda, I know how reliable they are. This brand new mega-Honda dealership where I test drove it is 3 mi from my house, and addied free oil changes, drive thru car washes, etc. for life . . . I was sold.

The VW dealership was 10 mi away, in a tired old '50s building, and looked like it could go belly-up any day. I've owned various VWs, and they are not reliable after about 50-60k miles. They just aren't. So, too, the Mazda dealership was a sister dealership to VW, right across the street. Another tired old '50s building, cramped quarters, with moderately reliable Mazdas for sale. Add to it that both the VW and the Mspeed3 were both turbocharged little 4s, which might be prone to problems down the road, and I decided to go with the Si, which has a bulletproof NA 4cyl.

Same horsepower, normally aspirated, better std features, 4 drs, reliability, best-in-class resale price, sunroof, etc., for less money? And then Honda America ponied up 0.9% financing, and the dealership threw in synth oil changes etc., for life?

Did I make the right choice? Only time will tell. I love the car, hated the rev hang (solved) and shiity paint and cheap mats, and I'm sure I would have had fun in any of these 3 cars. But here I am, on this site, spending much time on this post and having a blast modding my Si.

Hope this helps.

HotDogJohnny

My story about how I came to my Si is nearly identical to Johnny's. I first looked at only the MS3, GTI (I had one briefly before), and the Veloster Turbo.

All of them were out of my price range. I started researching the '12 Si and found out that it could be had for a solid price. In fact, with the 2013 MMC, I learned that buyers had some more chips to use at the bargaining table, so I played the "let's make a deal game" with 10 different dealers and finally bought one with an OTD price within my price range.

I like the Si because its identity fits my purposes-- a solid commuting car for grad school, my internship, jobs, but with a little kick in the back end to make driving enjoyable. I'm a big fan of "simple" layouts, and although Honda did cost-cut with the 2012 model, the look and feel is straight forward and there's nothing pretentious about it. And that's how I like my cars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback HDJohnny, I agree with the all-around refinement of the Si, the MS3 is much more of a beast. I looked at both again yesterday and decided the Si was more in line with what I'm looking for.

Priopal and DarDar made good points as well regarding torque steer and pricing. They are offering really good prices on the MS3 in my area right now, but the torque steer is a different issue altogether. As I drove the Si yesterday I realized the torque steer is almost non-existent. Very nice in a hot compact.

In the end, I'm looking at a silver 2013 Si sedan with nav. I don't really care about the nav, but its what my dealer has in the color I want. I'm really picky about the color and I love the silver, if I were going for the MS3 it'd be silver as well. Ive also had a WRX, GLI, Legacy gt....all silver.

Now all I have to do is unload a 2012 Ford Fusion.....ugh.
J
Glad I could help, can't wait to see PICS!!!! Good luck with the deal! Negative equity is a *****.

Back