transmission sos

gingiidrop

I have a base model 5 speed automatic 2012 Honda civic, I recently had the transmission drained and refilled due to some disruptions during down shifting. It’s been about two weeks since that was done, this morning the civic got stuck in third gear while breaking at a turn, seemingly it was still moving smoothly but i heard a sound from the right front of the car that sounded like a fan (ac was off) after accelerating it jumped for a second and went back to normal. (Between 1&3) It’s never done this, what could this be?

I don’t have a manual in front of me, but I recall there being 2 pressure sensors on the trans. One for like 1st-3rd gears, and one sensor for 4th/5th gears? I believe that’s correct. If the car gets stuck in a gear and won’t upshift/downshift properly, it’s likely one of the sensors (or both) that have gone bad. I’m saying this with the assumption your trans fluid change and stuff is at the correct level.

The mechanic told me there’s no issues and they didn’t find anything on the reading but I know there’s something wrong.

Last edited:
Yes it was checked and it’s clean, can I purchase the sensors myself? What are the sensors called?

I can’t seem to find the post where this has come up before, but I feel like I’ve always seen this issue with a check engine light. If you don’t have a check engine light, it could be something else.

I had a friend who had an older civic that wouldn’t go beyond 3rd gear and he had to get replacement sensors. That fixed his issue, but you may have other problems.

I believe it’s #11 in the diagram, and there are 2.
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~switch~assy~28610-r36-004.html

Then 2 gaskets
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~gasket~90471-pw7-a00.html

@Janz3n is a mechanic. Maybe he has input of something else to check? I’d hate to have you buy this stuff if it’s not needed. A check engine light and code would be helpful.

There’s no lights or any codes that come up with both the OB2 reader and the reader for the transmission 1-3 is the issue gear wise only when it’s downshifting and sometimes when I accelerate from a stop, it drives perfectly fine in any gear after keeping the same speed.

I've got nothing but I could check on demand today if I have time. If I remember correctly the transmission on that is on the driver's side so I'm not sure what the noise you heard would be.

Yea it’s on the driver side on the r18.

1690999736398.png

Back