Typical wages for Charlotte, NC?

hey_mikey

Concord, NC
Vehicle Model
Accord Sport
Body Style
Sedan
Since I'll finally be officially relocated to NC starting August 2nd, I've started looking at jobs. I need something flexible since I'm gonna be back in school to finish my engineering degree, and so far I haven't had much luck looking (although I really just started looking a couple days ago).

With that said, my brother-in-law is offering me a job at his warehouse, where I'll doing a little bit of everything. From answering the phones to manual labor to IT work, he'll put me where he needs me. Because he's been burned by bad hires before, he wants to start me at $10/hr, which seems a little low to me. In high school when I had my IT certifications, I was getting $50/hr just working part time. Haha. Now I DO realize that the cost of living in Charlotte is MUCH lower than the cost of living in Hawaii, so the corresponding wages would be lower as well, but still...

I know he'll take care if me, especially with being flexible for school, so I'm inclined to just take the job and show him I can do good work and hope I get a raise. He typically starts pretty much all his workers low, just to weed out the bad ones, but with my wife taking a $20k pay cut and with me going back to school, I'm not sure $10/hr is gonna cut it for long when it comes time to pay the mortgage, car payments, and utilities.

What do you guys think?

See if you can get a raise in X amount of months. Seems a bit low but you could make it work, depends on your lifestyle and your wifes income.

My brother is doing seasonal work at Delta and getting $11 for now(moving to part-time soon) and his wife is a teacher making mid 30s. They rent an apartment and have one car payment out of two cars. His wife is also paying on school loans.

Hardest hurtle would be finding a job that will be willing to work around your school schedule.

I assumed when you said you were relocating from HI to NC, it was for a new job. If not for a job, then why relocate to NC?
my wife is originally from NC and wanted to be closer to family because her grandmothers are getting old. flying 5,000 miles twice a year at $1100 avg for RT was getting really expensive, so we decided to up and move. haha

plus with the cost of living being much cheaper, and the economy being much better and much more diverse, we'd have a MUCH better chance at saving some money there than here on Maui. according to CNN money and based on the cost of housing, groceries, avg. wages, etc., someone making $50k/yr here in Hawaii only needs $25k/yr in Charlotte to have the same standard of living. that's a HUGE difference

do you know what your school schedule is going to be? As nomar said, it may be difficult to find a good employer that'll work around your school schedule. You may be able to get a campus job, but it may not pay better than the warehouse job?

do you know what your school schedule is going to be? As nomar said, it may be difficult to find a good employer that'll work around your school schedule. You may be able to get a campus job, but it may not pay better than the warehouse job?
yea I got my schedule set for this semester, but it'll likely be different next semester and every semester after that. I'm leaning towards taking the job and seeing what happens. I just wanted some input if anyone else thought the starting wages were low.

10 dollars an hour isn't bad wages. Straight down i85 a lil ways I support myself quite well with a house payment as well as car payment plus utilities tv Internet ect quite well at 11.21hr working 50-60 hrs a week on avg. I imagine cost of living can't be too much higher there.

10 dollars an hour isn't bad wages. Straight down i85 a lil ways I support myself quite well with a house payment as well as car payment plus utilities tv Internet ect quite well at 11.21hr working 50-60 hrs a week on avg. I imagine cost of living can't be too much higher there.
thanks for the info. that makes me feel a little better. i think i'm gonna go ahead and take it and work my butt off and hope for a raise. the flexible work schedule while I'm still in school is definitely a major plus.

Where in Charlotte are you going to be in? I'm in the Uptown/Elizabeth area....

Where in Charlotte are you going to be in? I'm in the Uptown/Elizabeth area....
i'm gonna be living in Concord, actually. that's where my wife's family is and where she grew up. i'll be going to school at UNCC, which is only about 10 miles away via 29. the warehouse is just off I-85 and brookshire blvd

Back