US in worldwide travel alert after 'al-Qaeda threat'

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
The US state department has said it is issuing a global travel alert because of an unspecified al-Qaeda threat.

In a statement, the department said the potential for an attack was particularly strong in the Middle East and North Africa.

The move comes shortly after the US announced 21 embassies and consulates in 18 counties would be shut on Sunday.

The alert expires on 31 August 2013, the department said. It recommended US citizens travelling abroad be vigilant.

"Current information suggests that al-Qa'ida and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August," the statement said.

An unnamed senior US official told NBC the threat may be related to the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which ends next week.

In the Muslim world, Sunday is a work day. In other parts of the world US diplomatic offices are shut on Sunday.

"It is possible we may have additional days of closing as well," a senior state department official told the BBC on Thursday.

The official said the state department had "been apprised of information" leading it to take these "precautionary steps... out of an abundance of caution".

Last year on 11 September, the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was attacked, leaving four Americans dead.

Other embassies are routinely targets of protesters.

The US diplomatic missions to be closed on Sunday are in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; Algiers, Algeria; Amman, Jordan; Baghdad, Iraq; Cairo, Egypt; Dhahran, Saudi Arabia; Djibouti, Djibouti; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Doha, Qatar; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Erbil, Iraq; Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; Kabul, Afghanistan; Khartoum, Sudan; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Manama, Bahrain; Muscat, Oman; Nouakchott, Mauritania; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Sanaa, Yemen and Tripoli, Libya.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23554652

holy month of Ramadan, which ends next week.

Islamic holy month of Ramadan

Not Islam. Ramadan is followed on a lunar year. Ramadan is finishing up too. Fasting is held back every year by 2-3 weeks. So it will start again by the end of next June.

I played basketball with a bunch of my muslim friends during this summer, until they started fasting. Now I'm getting out of shape and losing stamina. :giggle: I can't wait til they finish up so we can play again. They also have not fasted this early during the summer.

Also, I don't like relating Islam with Al-Qaeda at all...

But, it gives our congress an excuse to take the month off.

gYMJ6iL.gif

Last edited:
This all seems rather useless.

Unless there's something more specific, what steps should be taken beyond normal? Be extra vigilant? :pat:

If I someone is able to cancel their travel plans, then maybe they should. Otherwise, the only thing this will do is get everybody all worked up... and give the media more crap to blabber about.

Not Islam. Ramadan is followed on a lunar year. Ramadan is finishing up too. Fasting is held back every year by 2-3 weeks. So it will start again by the end of next June.

I played basketball with a bunch of my muslim friends during this summer, until they started fasting. Now I'm getting out of shape and losing stamina. :giggle: I can't wait til they finish up so we can play again. They also have not fasted this early during the summer.

Also, I don't like relating Islam with Al-Qaeda at all...
I just did a copy/paste from your news idem(8th line down)....... :D

This all seems rather useless.

Unless there's something more specific, what steps should be taken beyond normal? Be extra vigilant? :pat:

If I someone is able to cancel their travel plans, then maybe they should. Otherwise, the only thing this will do is get everybody all worked up... and give the media more crap to blabber about.

It makes travelers to be paranoid whenever they see a muslim in the airport/airplane. :facpalm:

Well, I for one won't be going to any muslim countries.... And staying out of large gatherings locally wouldn't hurt.

The ppl that were walking around Boston just before the bombing weren't being paranoid about seeing the two bombers with the back packs.
I think it's wise to be alert.

Wait a minute. I must have missed something. I thought Obama had killed Osama and terrorism had been defeated. Remember, we now have "Man Caused Disasters", work place violence and other politically correct nonsense.

I'm sorry to be so negative and caustic but this stuff just drives me nuts. What kind of country closes it embassies and withdrawals its diplomats, except a cowardly country/administration. I wish we would instead make it clear we are not to be toyed with, will defend our interests and will destroy those who seek to harm us.

I just did a copy/paste from your news idem(8th line down)....... :D

Maybe you wanna correct the info that says 2-3 weeks. The lunar month is 29 or 30 days lets say every month is 29 days that a max of 12 days a year. But its 9-10 day usualy.

Maybe you wanna correct the info that says 2-3 weeks. The lunar month is 29 or 30 days lets say every month is 29 days that a max of 12 days a year. But its 9-10 day usualy.

Yeah, I kinda over exaggerated it. It's fine.

Yeah, I kinda over exaggerated it. It's fine.
Thx... I was wondering why he posted my part of that, I really wonder sometime if ppl just post to be posting, or just trolling for response.

Thx... I was wondering why he posted my part of that, I really wonder sometime if ppl just post to be posting, or just trolling for response.
Thx ... For letting me know that because I was using my phone and it looks like I choose the wrong post... And since Dar-Dar was smart enough and polite too know that I wanted to correct him..

Back