Verizon Cell Users - Data Plans Changing

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Verizon is changing data plans effective June 28 against criticism from some analysts and many outraged customers.

Share everything plans with at least 1 smartphone:

Base price of $40 for the phone plan + data plan below
1 gig of data - $50
2 gigs of data $60
4 gigs of data $80
8 gigs of data $90
10 gigs of data $100

users grandfathered into previous plans may think they are safe, but this is not the case. If you opt to upgrade your phone at any point, your plan will start fresh with one of the new Verizon plans. The only way to avoid any change in your plan is to keep your current phone, or pay full-unsubsidized price for the phone. For many users, the new pricing plan greatly reduces their data plans and actually costs more.

share.png

It's a bunch of BS.....AT&T is already rumored to be looking at chainging to something similar.

I'm so grateful to be grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T! I'd spend a small fortune on data usage if I wasn't.

• Staff
see post 2... it's coming. ATT is rumored to be releasing revised plans just like verizon any day

Looks like I will be keeping my phone forever or paying full price for a new one. I just upgraded a couple of months ago so I should be fine for a while.

see post 2... it's coming. ATT is rumored to be releasing revised plans just like verizon any day

I saw...any new changes made by AT&T won't affect people grandfathered into their current unlimited plan. It only affects you if you make a change to your account and lose grandfathered status.

I pay $35 /mo (per phone) for unlimited data for the 2 iphones on my account.

• Staff
I saw...any new changes made by AT&T won't affect people grandfathered into their current unlimited plan. It only affects you if you make a change to your account and lose grandfathered status.
if you opt for a new phone at a subsidized price your grandfathered contract is over

webby said:
users grandfathered into previous plans may think they are safe, but this is not the case. If you opt to upgrade your phone at any point, your plan will start fresh with one of the new Verizon plans. The only way to avoid any change in your plan is to keep your current phone, or pay full-unsubsidized price for the phone.

if you opt for a new phone at a subsidized price your grandfathered contract is over

Sucks for Verizon customers! With AT&T you currently don't lose grandfathered status when upgrading phones, hopefully it stays that way.

Verizon apparently didn't lose grandfathered contracts till now - or the end of this month. I would basically expect AT&T to do the same. That is, unless they think a lot will defect to AT&T initially. Then they'll wait a little to change theirs to echo verizon.

Look at Verizon offering unlimited data when the iPhone came out- right after AT&T stopped theirs. Then like a year later, they ditched unlimited. Those two are so big they can do whatever they want. A number of people went to sprint, but then left after slow data speed in certain areas. Virgin mobile, straight talk, and other companies that piggyback other carriers towers are offering more and more unlimited plans for like half the cost.

downfall is that some phones would have to be purchased at full price on those carriers.... but you're not tied into a 2yr contract

They forgot to mention what else they did to unlimited plans.

Existing customers can keep their unlimited plans, but their video quality is now limited to 720p on phones as well. That rules out 4K-resolution video, but many people probably won't notice a difference and there isn't much 4K content yet.

Verizon will also slow the speeds of people on the cheaper unlimited plan when the network is congested. It will do that on the pricier plan only when a customer uses more than 22 gigabytes in a month.

Dudes, listen. I used to sell phones. The thing to do on an older plan is calculate how much more per month you are going to be spending on a new phone and multiply by whatever the upgrade cycle length is.

It used to be 2 years for upgrades right? So $50 extra per month, average increase we saw, over 24 months is $1200. But the "free phone" right? Man, just buy a new phone cash outright and stay on your old plan. I don't know of a single phone out there that costs more than $1200 let alone data overage charges. I know the newest phones are like $600 but still. You could buy one a year and still break even. That's right, buy a phone per year and still cost you less in the long run plus have your current data allowances.

Buy your phone. Keep your old plan. F-them telecoms. If everyone did this they would flip out but people can't see past the "free" upgrade and it's only such a minimal amount to upgrade! They get you in the end. They always do. Winners don't keep the lights on in Vegas. (and they got a ton of lights on don't they.)

Why do you think I still have a flip phone? They can all kiss my unlimited talk/text no data ***. $25/month until this phone dies. I am not paying $100/mo or more for any of that crap.

EDIT: Think of it this way, if my plan jumped to $100 that would be $900 more per year. Dudes, thats flash pro and then some. It's a set of mounted and balanced Z2 tires! Plus money for lunch!

What do you want? A new phone? Or flash pro and tires.....

Back