Dennis Rockholt

9k Alll Day
Franklin, TN
Vehicle Model
370Z Fairlady aka "Nismo"
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys,

Ive noticed lately my paint has small chips like all over the car. theres a couple ones near the driver side, some on the hood (which I expected no biggie) but there are also some on the roof, and passenger side door as well, anyone know if paint is warrantied up to a certain mileage? I have a '13 sedan with a little over 10k.

Thanks

If they are a result from rock chips, then that isn't covered. If the chips are an actual flaw in the paint itself...that would be covered under warranty. I can tell you it's not uncommon for the front bumper, hood, A-pillars and roof to have chips. If you drive on the highway, stones can be kicked up from long distances.

Yeah and those are the areas I always expect...but I also have chips on the sides of doors (which isnt too far from ordinary) but even a couple on the top of my trunk which are ones I really dont understand...I guess its still worth it either way for me to at least have them check it.

There are also chips on the roof, and spoiler as well. I am wondering why because theres just no way rocks have hit all over my car like that

Paint chips can happen anywhere. I have had chips in places I would never expect.

If they are a result from rock chips, then that isn't covered. If the chips are an actual flaw in the paint itself...that would be covered under warranty. I can tell you it's not uncommon for the front bumper, hood, A-pillars and roof to have chips. If you drive on the highway, stones can be kicked up from long distances.

:yeahthat:

Post some pictures of the chips, I wonder if it is like the 8th gen paint issue. Honda has repainted my car twice now at no cost to me because of it.

Post some pictures of the chips, I wonder if it is like the 8th gen paint issue. Honda has repainted my car twice now at no cost to me because of it.

Will do, I will take some after I am off work tonight, I amy need to get out my nikon dsr so they are nice and clear

this is what my paint looked like all over the hood and fenders, then the roof a pillars and trunk all had premature paint failure. i am actually getting my car back today from paint.
crowsfeet.jpg

2563d1c6-2826-1031-83d1-a6ebaa90d167r.jpg

yeah, the first time they painted it was because of the hood and fenders, this second time was because of the a pillars roof and trunk and i made them repaint the front of the car again as well. i now have lifetime warranty on the paint so anytime something happens they will cover it

Yeah...that's not from "rock chips". That is flawed paint. "Paint defects"

same here with a unusual amount of rock chips, my dad and i to the same place for work he works first shift and i work second his car has twice as many miles as my car and about a quarter amount of the rock chips, he drives in heavy traffic both ways and i encounter little to no traffic but i still get more rock chips then my dad.

same here with a unusual amount of rock chips, my dad and i to the same place for work he works first shift and i work second his car has twice as many miles as my car and about a quarter amount of the rock chips, he drives in heavy traffic both ways and i encounter little to no traffic but i still get more rock chips then my dad.
Is his vehicle at least a few years old? Or what make/model? Water based paints low VOC are required by a number of states if not all states now (I've not looked recently). The fact that it's mandated by some states, ....car makers essentially have had to switch paint formulas.

Is his vehicle at least a few years old? Or what make/model? Water based paints low VOC are required by a number of states if not all states now (I've not looked recently). The fact that it's mandated by some states, ....car makers essentially have had to switch paint formulas.
my bad he has a 05 sun fire and i live in chicago ill

@RaskyR1 may be the one to comment on that. I believe the 2005 sunfires are single stage paint. I'm not sure how it may compare as far as durability.

A lot of factors come into play with rock chips but they won't be covered under warranty unless it's a defect like the paint checking or "crows feet" in the pics above. I know on my 8th gen I had chips in the areas you mentioned but I did a lot of highway driving in that car and I also rode the **** out of the car in front on me if they were in the left lane and won't move over. :D

My '08 TSX had tons of chips as well but my '12 TSX has virtually none. Biggest factor is that my drives now are almost all non-highway and I'm better at keeping my distance from the cars in front of me.

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle on the highway without a helmet you'd understand why cars get so chipped up!!! :D

Best solution, clear bra! Xpel Ultimate ;)

A lot of factors come into play with rock chips but they won't be covered under warranty unless it's a defect like the paint checking or "crows feet" in the pics above. I know on my 8th gen I had chips in the areas you mentioned but I did a lot of highway driving in that car and I also rode the **** out of the car in front on me if they were in the left lane and won't move over. :D

My '08 TSX had tons of chips as well but my '12 TSX has virtually none. Biggest factor is that my drives now are almost all non-highway and I'm better at keeping my distance from the cars in front of me.

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle on the highway without a helmet you'd understand why cars get so chipped up!!! :D

Best solution, clear bra! Xpel Ultimate ;)
sorry - from post #14 down was what I was referring to specifically.... or maybe your response was an answer to that as well.

sorry - from post #14 down was what I was referring to specifically.... or maybe your response was an answer to that as well.

It was partially a response to those posts too. I don't know for sure on his paint type, it's likely BC/CC, but it was probably still solvent based back then so that could be part of the reason.

Back