Water inside the trunk

Flamethrower

Worcester, MA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
I didn't know really where to post this, so if the moderators want to move, they can. I am going to be installing a JDM spoiler on my Civic sometime within in the next 2 weeks. I already have it, it's been painted, I just need to install it. Needless to say I am scared $hitle$$ about drilling holes in my trunk. That's where my question comes in. A buddy of mine told me to "enjoy the water that will leak in to my trunk." Has anyone had problems with htis in the past? Can I do something to stop this from happening? What are some solutions that others have done to reslove this issue, if it's even an issue? I was thinking about getting a waterproof gasket and lay it over the holes before tightening the screws down.

First: If its an Si, Try and get someone to trade a base model spoilerless trunk with you, earn some cash that way, and have it done professionally. shouldn't cost more than an hour of labor. Look for a respectable body shop to do it if you're afraid of water. That way you don't have to plug any holes.

Be sure to use those rubber stopper things in the proper size- I believe they are called grommets. That should stop the water from coming in.

Pics of said spoiler? I tried doing this on my 06 with one of those GT wings and decided it was a bad idea before i drilled any holes.

You can either use grommets or install it and start slapping silicone from the inside and cover any exposed areas. This is how i did it for my R18, works perfect no leaks. I also did it twice, Stock trunk and CF trunk.

I did the spoiler on a previous civic - currently fit

Back