Weight Reduction and Sound unproofing

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
I was wondering what would be good ways of shedding weight of the 2012 Si without going to extremes.

At the same time personally I would like to hear the engine and muffler more so taking some of the sound proofing out may prove productive in more then one way.

The Scion FRS intentionally directs some of the engine noise in the cabing above some RPMs for example.

Anybody tried it or experimented with this?

If you are looking at weight reduction alone, I would start with lighter wheels if you haven't done so already. I believe stock wheels are about 25lbs each. You should be able to find some that weigh in around 15 lbs each.

You can get a smaller battery as well. Braille makes 15lb batteries that can handle regular power load that the car normally uses. I think the stock battery is like 30lbs.

Yeah that is on my list for the spring, eyeing some ultra light 18s with some PSSs on them to get a better road feel and more responsiveness as well. Decided to go with Pilot Super Sports for tire, still researching the wheels. Suggestions are welcome :)

I am also curious where is the sound proofing located for the muffler area. The engine bay one is obvious, have to research what is the weight for that.

You can get a smaller battery as well. Braille makes 15lb batteries that can handle regular power load that the car normally uses. I think the stock battery is like 30lbs.
That is a great suggestion! I will have to keep two batteries one for winter one for summer, I guess the light one might not take the cold that well. But I plan to have 3 sets of tires or four if money allows, what is another battery as well :)

I considered leaving the spare at home as well but I need to be carefull and take it with me on longer trips, outside of town mostly.

I think the Braille battery can take on cold weather. It probably depends how cold. Lol.

Nah, you'll be fine when it's 35 degrees. lol. My 5 year old battery was great for even with a -10 degree weather. However, this winter the battery is showing it's fatigue. But only during 15 degree and lower temps.

Those are chunk change for weight reduction. You need to remove back seat, passenger seat, and spare tire. There, you just rid yourself of hundreds of lbs. If you want to drop 10 or 15 lbs, lose your weight is the cheapest.

Carbon fiber hood/fender/trunk. Lol.

Also, add nitrogen in tires.

Carbon fiber hood/fender/trunk. Lol.

I would love to do a carbon fiber hood and trunk, but I would have them painted to match the car. Not a fan of the look, but would love the weight reduction!

This is another reason why I'm not getting HFP lips. They add weight. :D

The stock cat is pretty heavy. Getting a downpipe with a highflow cat will help.

I guess the carbon fiber stuff will compensate for the added weight. Lol.

Back