Weight Reduction and Sound unproofing

Removing passenger and back seat is too extreme. Lol.
I did consider it :) but a bit too much. even if I could do it as an easy remove thing like the minivans can do still a bit too much. I bought the sedan to be able to seat 4 to 5 people in the car.

Still lots of great suggestions, keep'em coming :)

Those are chunk change for weight reduction. You need to remove back seat, passenger seat, and spare tire. There, you just rid yourself of hundreds of lbs. If you want to drop 10 or 15 lbs, lose your weight is the cheapest.
Loosing personal weight can also be healthy. I am not that heavy but I could loose 8 kilos or so ;) It is an effective point of view though, just like the spare or battery can add a ton of weight so is the extra weight I should not have. I would also benefit from it more than just driving enjoyment.

Edit : no clue why tapatalk posted my reply in this thread when I was in another thread lol

I think most car batteries won't be able to handle that temp. Lol.

If you are looking at weight reduction alone, I would start with lighter wheels if you haven't done so already. I believe stock wheels are about 25lbs each. You should be able to find some that weigh in around 15 lbs each.

Enkei PF01 is 17.4 pounds in an 18" size, on closeout at Tire Rack.
OZ Alleggerita is 16.6 pounds in an 18" size as well.

Every pound of rotational weight to accelerate is equivalent to taking between 4-10 pounds off of the body. ( 1/4 mile ) Dropping close to 40 pounds of rotating weight is like taking between 160 - 400 pounds off of the body. There are many factors, and it's been pointed out that the higher the RPM of the rotational weight that is reduced, the more effective it is, compared to something with equivalent weight at a lower RPM.

Also, the distance from the center of rotation, the more effective weight loss will be.... meaning if you say could lighten the rotor by 3 pounds, or the tire ( the tire being larger in diameter ) the tire would have more effect. ( both turning the same angular RPM )

Wheels and tires are also un-sprung weight, which, when reduced will increase the effectiveness of the shock at damping the spring oscillation, and handling will be improved above all else.

Here's an article on weight reduction, however they were focusing more on weight reduction of the entire vehicle.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0310_weight_reduction/viewall.html

If you wanted to go all out without spending a lot of money, ditch the spare, the jack and handle, that should be good for another 40 pounds or so. If you have access to a lathe, you could possibly reduce the diameter of the brake rotors some, so that the rotor is flush with the top of the pads. The rotor hat could be thinned out some without losing integrity.

Btw, Braille batteries are made by Deka. The 'Deka' ones are much cheaper and the same as Braille. You're just paying for the name.

I just read a few reviews on the batteries. They seem to fail in less than 2 years. :bleh:

I just read a few reviews on the batteries. They seem to fail in less than 2 years. :bleh:
Hmm, i guess still doable if one is prepared mentally and financially :) From what i read unsprung weight is the best to loose first, then anything is a plus, depends how far can one go. My immediate targets are wheels, leave at home the spare and jack. Battery is next a lightweight seems to cost as much a regular one.
Losing a bit of weight also is on my list not only for a faster car.

I wish we could easily take out and re install the seats like in a mini van :)

Back