Wheel studs

georgefb6

Is there any information or DIYs on how to replace the stock wheel lugs with extended wheel lugs? Does anyone know how to go about the process of replacing them or of any issues id run into?

I actually want to buy a set of 20 extended lugs from pro civic but idk how to go about swapping them in

I can speak for the rears. I just replaced one this past week. I paid $1.85/each at my local Honda Dealership for the studs (like you mentioned, there are several different brands so I just got the one they had in stock). To remove (on the rear) start by taking the caliper and rotor off. You might have to drill out the rotor screws to get it off (I did, I stripped the heads immediately).

Then when its just the hub exposed, just beat the old one out with a hammer. I've seen people say to use an old lug nut on the end to broaden the striking surface area but I just went for it since it was a crap stud and it was out in 2-3 hits. You may have to rotate the hub a little to find the sweet spot to fully pull the old stud out from the back, but it will come out easily. Then, slide the new one in from the back (same sweet spot) and put several flat washers (i used fender washers) stacked up on the stud. Then use an good, open-back lug nut to snug up on the washers.

At this point, I had to prop a 2x4 between good studs and resting on the ground to stop the hub from spinning while tightening (no parking brake available). Then you just slowly tighten down on the washers and it should pull the new stud into the hub. I got it as flush on the back side of the hub as I could and then reinstalled the rotor, brake caliper and wheel. When I torqued the lug nuts, I noted which one had the new stud and checked the torque again after a day or so to tighten it back up again. Everything seems to hold up so far!

Again, this is just for the back. I can't speak for the fronts. So hopefully this helps you.

Thank you and what of the fronts? Ive read that sometimes the knuckle will get in the way of the stud removal

Not a clue. I don't have a 9th to see, and that's the only post I've seen where someone replaced a broken oem stud. I've seen plenty do it with wheel spacers though.

Back