When should I get an oil change on my 2012 Civic?

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
I have about 3500 miles on my civic, I remember the salesperson that sold me the car that I should get an oil change around 3500 miles. I called up a Honda dealership and the person told me that I'm not due for an oil change until a sign comes up saying I have 15% oil life and I need an oil change. Right now, my car sais I have 50% oil left. What should I do? Should I change the oil or just wait for the sign?

Everyone will probably have their own opinion as to when you should do oil changes. Honda says go by the maintenance minder at around 15%. I know a number of people went 1-3k miles on their first oil change, and then followed the meter from then on out. I can't really say I've heard of anyone saying one way really affected their engine. Some people on 8th had over 300k miles on their engines without issue. The only real issues that popped up on 8th engine wise related to people mis shifting their manual trans and blowing the motor.

i know my first oil change was done when at 15% on my csx which was just under 5000 km but it's really personal preference. if the system is similar to previous generation models it depends on your driving habits and conditions you drive in weather it be highway or in the city.

Back