Which would your 9th Civic Prefer - Big Brake Kit or just Drilled Rotors?

2012Si_kcrow

Houston, TX
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hey everyone, I contacted Password JDM the other day via e-mail to see when they plan on releasing their line of Drilled/Slotted Rotors for our 9th Gens. When I hear back I will post their response in this thread.

Also contacted Megan Racing to see if they have plans to release one of their bad@$$ Big Brake Kits, hopefully for all 4 wheels this time, for the 9th Gens as well. Will be posting their reply as well.

In the mean time, let's gather some data to show these two companies there is a desire for their products. Which brake setup would you run if they were both available, and why?

I'll start, I would def buy the Password JDM Rotors for all four wheels. I already had my calipers powdercoated red so these rotors would be a sick addition. I ran Password rotors on my 8th Gen and they were definitely a smart and affordable upgrade to the braking system. Plus they just looked awesome behind my Enkei's!

I auto-x, so I would go with bigger brakes (if I had an Si)

-Keith
'11 WRX & '99 2.3CL

John at Password just got back to me. My question as stated above was inquiring about when they will be releasing rotors for the 9th's.

Kelly,

This just came up in a meeting, so we're looking at it and other goodies for the newer Civics. Keep an eye out on our website and our facebook page. We usually announce things on facebook before anywhere else.

John Espino

#SS00000183
Password:JDM Customer Support
Thank you,

Password:JDM
9034 Bermudez Street
Pico Rivera, CA 90660
562-801-1808

Why would you want drilled and slotted rotors?why not go with just slotted unless you just cannot live wthout the look.

IMHO just go with some slotted rotors and hawk pads until you are putting out much more power. I ran that combo on both my subies granted those were 4 piston factory calipers on my '07 and held up great for AutoX and daily driving.

Why would you want drilled and slotted rotors?why not go with just slotted unless you just cannot live wthout the look.
As far as I can remember and granted I haven't looked in awhile as once I change rotors or calipers it's not something I do again very soon, but there were only a few companies making rotors or brake systems for the 8th Gens. Corsport carried a few lines of Big Brake Kits, some with slotted rotors, some with drilled and slotted but all that required bigger wheels, rotor and caliper changes. You could get the stock OEM Brake Rotors from Honda, Brembo offered OE Brake Rotors identical to the Honda OEM but made by Brembo and Password JDM offered Drilled/Slotted JDM look OEM sized replacement rotors. Do you know of a manufacturer who made good slotted OEM sized rotors for the 8th Gens that I could contact and find out when they will be releasing these for the 9ths?

EBC, Brembo, Baer, stoptech, .. number of companies that make decent aftermarket setups

EBC, Brembo, Baer, stoptech, .. number of companies that make decent aftermarket setups

I did just do some research on this. I see Brembo does make a Big Brake kit as well for almost every generation of Civic but, the only make it for the Front. I'm going to try contacting their R&D department tomorrow @their 1800 number and see if I can give any info on 9th Gen products, afterall Brembo makes 26million rotors a year in over 1000 different models, they should have something coming. I really only care about companies that make Aftermarket Rotors for all 4 wheels (DBA, EBC, and Password JDM) and Big Brake kits for the front and rears (K Sport), as I never saw a point in just replacing the front and not the rears (looks kinda goofy with bigger rotors and 4 piston calipers on the front and those mighty single piston Honda calipers and stock rotors on the rear! lol) I've got some "contacting" to do, will post replies as they come in. Anywho, if you have a request for a specific companies brakes let me know and I'll get in touch with them.

I know parts are coming, just gives me something specific to look forward to when a company gives me a "yes" and a date or a "No, we have no plans" response. I'm sure there are many others on this forum looking to build their 9th Gens for some enhanced street capabilities, Auto-X, or track/strip opps.

A number of people just do the upgrades on the front because they take a majority of the stopping force. You can go through two sets of front pads for one set of rears in many situations. Plus, many people aren't willing to shell out over 5 grand on a big brake kit from brembo unless they're tracking their car.

if not going with new calipers Powerslot rotors(when available) and hawk pads would be and will be my coice this combo has served me well

Webby, most of my friends have done just that stoptech calipers with powerslots in the front and stock 2 pistons calipers with powerslot rotors in the rear works like a charm on the track.

A number of people just do the upgrades on the front because they take a majority of the stopping force. You can go through two sets of front pads for one set of rears in many situations. Plus, many people aren't willing to shell out over 5 grand on a big brake kit from brembo unless they're tracking their car.
I'd like to add that unless you're planning to use your e-brake while racing, you might be better off with just the front brake being enlarged. Anything will look right if it's functionally correct.

http://www.stoptech.com/media-cente...-brake-kits-for-2013-acura-ilx-honda-civic-si

Stoptech BBKs for those interested...

Make
Model
Year
F/R
Front Cal
Front Rotor
Rear Cal
Rear Rotor
StopTech Big Brake Kit#
Acura​
ILX​
2013​
F​
ST-40​
328x28​
83.062.4300.xx​
Honda​
Civic Si​
2012-2013​
F​
ST-40​
328x28​
83.062.4300.xx​

Looking to get brakes and this is one of the options I was considering -- problem is a google search returns this page and the official release you have linked. Does anyone know how much these are or where to get them potentially?

As far as rotors go: Blanks>Slotted>Drilled.

That said I have a set of slotted rotors and stoptech at least says the only advantage of a slotted rotor is to help keep pad wear very even. Best braking force will be from a nice set of Brembo Blanks.

The only trouble with inexpensive drilled rotors is that the holes are not engineered as part of the rotor and the drilling sometimes goes right through a rotor vein and leaves a huge weak spot. The holes are also where cracks develop first.

Drilled rotors look real nice. I can't deny that.

Big Brake Kits just help shed heat better for track sessions. They won't add any braking force. I still want one just for looks though. Hahahah I don't want to be a total buzzkill, just make sure people know what they're getting.

On my 8th gen I have EBC USR Slotted front rotors and soon PBR/AXXIS Ultimate brake pads. The rotors are listed for the RSX but are a direct swap. The 8th gen R18 could run any of the BBKs or brake rotors made for the 02-05 RSX Base (not Type-S), and also anything from the 04-05 Si Hatch but not 03'.

The Si was a totally different story. Just info for anyone looking for upgrades.

I'll go along with that.......... but I've always felt Holes or slots help in the wet ????????

Back