Why a weighted shift knob?

None2Slow

Nampa, Id
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Whats the deal with a weighted shift knob? Whats the reason for them? I have always used a handle that allowed a nice full grip and never thought about the weight of it. In fact, I always thought that you would want a lighter knob to cut weight wherever possible. So, school me on this subject. Im from V8s and 4spds with T-handles.

It's definitely a different sensation with a weighted knob. Once you start to put it in the next gear, the added weight of the knob helps transition you into that gear. Like, once you start the motion, the added weight helps almost pull it into that next upshift or downshift. It almost feels more solid during the throws and stuff. I'm not sure how else to describe it...without you actually trying one. Think of what it might feel like to have a ping pong ball at the top of the shift knob, versus what it'd feel like to have a pool ball as the knob. Picture what it'd feel like moving between gears with the weight difference?

Very accurate description webby. In my experience it made shifting a lot smoother too. Like webby said, once you pull the lever out of a gear, it feels like the weight throws it into the next great without much effort

But wouldn't a weighted knob take more inertia to get moving? Hence slowing down the shift, and thereby making any benefit from the knob null and void? Maybe with a short shifter and a weighted know, but not with a stock throw. I've had short throws on Mustangs and Hurst T-handles on old Mopars. Even had an actual Pool ball on a 65 Mustang on the stock shifter. I just have a hard time seeing past the price of something that adds weight and costs that much. I guess I need to drive 1 to see. Anybody near Boise, Id got 1 I can drive? I am going to be in Reno area this weekend. How about that area? :driving:

Yea I would say you just have to try it and see if you like it for yourself. Personally, I had the stock knob for a while, then got a short shift adapter and base bushings (love it) then got my weighted knob and I loved that too. Switched to the stock knob and got an extender, and I gotta say, having the lightweight knob and extender (giving more leverage) is the best setup for me

You've had a pool ball, but it was on a 65 mustang. While I've not driven a 65 specifically, the shift feeling between that and a new civic are night and day. No? The effort involved in the shift should be significantly smoother in the civic from my experience. It's not like you're trying to move some massive weight where it's a challenge. Which knob were you looking at?

But wouldn't a weighted knob take more inertia to get moving? Hence slowing down the shift, and thereby making any benefit from the knob null and void? Maybe with a short shifter and a weighted know, but not with a stock throw. I've had short throws on Mustangs and Hurst T-handles on old Mopars. Even had an actual Pool ball on a 65 Mustang on the stock shifter. I just have a hard time seeing past the price of something that adds weight and costs that much. I guess I need to drive 1 to see. Anybody near Boise, Id got 1 I can drive? I am going to be in Reno area this weekend. How about that area? :driving:
Me and my father built a 350 S10 when I was younger which had a lightweight T handle style shifter I see your argument where that was very effortless. But webbys point is spot on these new shift cable transmissions are so smooth that a weighted shift knob isn't hard to get moving just easier to finish going into gear. How I look at it is two halves. The first half of getting started is easy then the second half going into gear the weight practically does the work for you so your added force makes it super fast and easy.

Im not looking at any in particular, but Ive seen 2 similar knobs and the weighted knob was usually almost twice the price.

Just some food for thought, I'd think to make it work correctly it would be wt'd for the car and driver(each being different).

Im not looking at any in particular, but Ive seen 2 similar knobs and the weighted knob was usually almost twice the price.

If you're talking about the Moddiction Anvil and the TWM M1 Abrams. Get the Moddiction. TWM sells their products like they are gold.

I was thinking of getting a different knob as the stock SI knob sooo suxx in the winter when its -6*. That Mugen knob looks nice. Hmmmm damn you guys. I need to get the exhaust first, then the knob.

Whats the deal with a weighted shift knob? Whats the reason for them? I have always used a handle that allowed a nice full grip and never thought about the weight of it. In fact, I always thought that you would want a lighter knob to cut weight wherever possible. So, school me on this subject. Im from V8s and 4spds with T-handles.
In reference to why generally speaking usually people pair these with a short throw shifter the weight of the knob allows for a smoother transition from gear to gear allowing for faster shifts when you throw weight around it obviously moves faster than something lighter its like throwing a rock vs a feather

Back