Why does Honda tell me to change engine oil once per year ???

Zanity

Alberta, Canada
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic Si HFP
Body Style
Coupe
Hi guys, I bought the last 2013 white civic si HFP in the province. It comes with 10 years of engine oil change from Honda. I usually work out of town with company providing flights and travel. So I told the Honda dealership when I picked up the car that I may not even drive 5000 km per year since it will mostly be stored and used a few times a month. They said "Ok, I'll give you a sticker to change your engine oil exactly one year from now" and I'm like 0.o ??? I don't care how good the oil and engine is now a days, oil still decompose ! If my car is just parked for most of the year, the maintenance monitor won't register accurately how old the oil is. There's no info in the manual either, as it just says go look at the maintenance monitor. I paid for the 10 year oil change from Honda and I feel like I'm being ripped off if they're only going to change my oil once a year ! Any thoughts guys ?

P.S: Here's some pix of my car =)

Attachments

• int left.JPG
    int left.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • left front.JPG
    left front.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • left rear low.JPG
    left rear low.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • left close.JPG
    left close.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • int right.JPG
    int right.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • right front.JPG
    right front.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • back high.JPG
    back high.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
^ great looking HFP

There is no real time frame mentioned, but a lot of people claim it should be done every 6 months despite mileage. I've never sent mine to a lab to see it's condition, but that's an option that you could do. Blackstone labs is a commonly used company for oil analysis.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Last edited:
I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance which is said to 'provide protection for up to 15,000 miles'. It lasted for 6,000 miles. I should have sent it to a lab for testing, but the oil was pretty black and I had it disposed instead (Autozone).

Oils don't really decompose, the additive package breaks down, as well with dino oil, the molecules are all of different sizes, they get sheared down and smaller after time. Byproducts of combustion that make it past the rings results in acids forming in the crankcase, as well you have soot, ash and carbon accumulating.

Modern engines are a lot better on fuel with tighter than ever clearances thanks to FEA analysis and design, plus a lot of dyno time, and teardowns before the engine goes to full production. With synthetic oils, only the additive package really gets 'worn' out, plus the accumulation of acids, soot and ash.

That said, I don't feel terrible about changing my oil on my R18 every 10K KMS. On my old car, I would drop it after about 3-3.5 KMS. The computer monitors cold starts, idling time, and injector pulsewidth to calculate oil change intervals.

Man I wish the US-spec Si's came with the digital/auto climate control and heated seats. It really is the finishing touch/icing on the cake in our interiors.

Love your car man!!

Man I wish the US-spec Si's came with the digital/auto climate control and heated seats. It really is the finishing touch/icing on the cake in our interiors.

Love your car man!!

You'll have to upgrade to the ILX K24 to get it. Lol.

You'll have to upgrade to the ILX K24 to get it. Lol.
That new baby Acura? No thanks. Long live the Si! :thumb: I'm sure someone will do a retrofit soon - if not for the heated seats, but definitely for the climate control!

The ILX K24 is pretty much a more luxurious Si. :giggle:

The ILX K24 is pretty much a more luxurious Si. :giggle:
the powertrain is missing a key component to what makes the Si an Si

LSD

OP you got ripped off the second you purchased their service contract. But they are right the OEM specs are change oil at 0% or 1 year mark whichever comes first.

you drive so little you may want a refund on that service contract that you purchased and just change the oil on your own once a year.

Sounds like you got roped into a service contract :( I'd get that service contracted cancelled. 10 YEARS of oil changes? Are you really going to own this car 10 years and at 1 LOF a year? Just call the dealership and ask for a warranty admin. They can help you get it cancelled.

Your car looks great!

Yeah man, that's messed up no heated seats or digital climate control :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Back