Wilwood brakes

I don't think Wilwood is a terrible company or anything, I just think there are better options for my needs/finances. TL-S Brembos would be ideal, but even the DC5 Brembos would be a great step up from the stock 8th gen brakes.

Looking for info on what I should get as I'll be getting a hitch installed on my si and would like to stop faster then oem with the added weight of a trailer about 1250-1500lbs total extra weight. Anyone with experience let me know.

With a trailer weight of 1500 pounds, it will stop quite fine, although your distances are going to be slightly farther than without the trailer. Key is to have the trailer loaded properly, also a long tongue on the trailer will help to keep the weight distribution from shifting fast, when going over bumps.

I can't stress loading the trailer properly enough. If the trailer is too heavy on the tongue, you lever weight off of the front wheels, this can be a dangerous condition, with a fast brake application the front tires can lock. While the ABS will kick in, you will not stop as fast as possible with it properly loaded. If the trailer is too tail heavy ( light on the tongue ) you lever weight off of the rear tires on the car. This can cause issues with handling if the rear tires don't have enough traction cornering.

With a trailer weight of 1500 pounds, it will stop quite fine, although your distances are going to be slightly farther than without the trailer. Key is to have the trailer loaded properly, also a long tongue on the trailer will help to keep the weight distribution from shifting fast, when going over bumps.

I can't stress loading the trailer properly enough. If the trailer is too heavy on the tongue, you lever weight off of the front wheels, this can be a dangerous condition, with a fast brake application the front tires can lock. While the ABS will kick in, you will not stop as fast as possible with it properly loaded. If the trailer is too tail heavy ( light on the tongue ) you lever weight off of the rear tires on the car. This can cause issues with handling if the rear tires don't have enough traction cornering.
So are you suggesting I leave them alone and do not change them?

I would leave them alone, if the trailer isn't loaded properly, you will be traction limited by the tires anyways in the front, adding larger brakes isn't going to help. I am sure the Si stock brakes are 10x better than the ones on my 89 accord, and I regularly pulled a trailer that was loaded heavy most of the time. With too much tongue weight, the front tires will lock up when you get on them hard, or even moderate on low traction surfaces, IE: sand on pavement, wet pavement etc.

Back