Woman Gets The Deal Of A Lifetime On A Fake iPad

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
Woman Gets The Deal Of A Lifetime On A Fake iPad

Some people are so desperate for a great deal on an iPad that they may do some crazy things. Meet Ashley McDowell, a 22-year-old from South Carolina who was at a McDonalds and found the deal of a lifetime.
A couple of men approached her in the parking lot stating they were selling iPads for $300. When she told them she only had $180, they agreed to the price and she happily walked to her car after being handed a FedEx box, which contained the new iPad.
After arriving home, Ashley immediately opened her box. To her surprise, she found a piece of wood that had a screenshot of the iPad along with a Best Buy sales tag and an Apple logo cutout on the back.
Ashley immediately called the police and filed a report. According to the police statement, the parking lot salesmen showed her a real iPad to lure her in and then handed her the box right out of their trunk.
The photos below show the fake iPad, although they are discolored because the police had dusted it for fingerprints. If the culprits are caught, the likely penalty will be 90 days in jail and/or a fine, which would be less than $1,000.
Below is a copy of the police report. If you have seen these thieves, please contact the Spartanburg County Sheriffs Office in South Carolina. It is probably not a wise idea to buy an iPad out of someone’s trunk.
Full text of of Incident no. 11081828, filed on Monday night:

On 08/29/2011 I responded to Lee’s Crossing in regards to a swindle call at above address. Ashley Mcdowell stated that she was at Mcdonald’s buying food when two black males approached her in the parking lot attempting to sale an IPad or a laptop. Ms. Mcdowell stated that the two black males showed her a new Ipad and stated that they had bought them in bulk and was selling them for $300. Ms. Mcdowell stated that she only had $180 and they agreed to sale it for that price. Ms. Mcdowell stated that the subjects had several of them in a Fed Ex box in the trunk. Ms. Mcdowell stated that when she drove home she opened the box and within the box was a piece of wood painted black with an Apple logo. Ms. Mcdowell then called the police. Ms. Mcdowell stated that one of the black males had a gold tooth. Ms. Mcdowell stated that the subjects were driving a white Impala with no rims and no tint.

01425sz1i26862000.jpg

why even go to the trouble of putting a screenshot, or the apple icon on the piece of wood? That's really going to fool someone into thinking it's real? Horrible people

It sucks that she got scammed. She should have checked in the box to see the real deal before even paying them.

• Staff
I just wouldn't have bought anything from anybody off the street or in a parking lot :pat:

if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

oh no. I would be tearing him away from them. He'd be interested. I wouldn't.
I live near ATL...this crap doesn't fly by me.

We'll be at Roebling Rd in Savannah for a track event. Or he will be...I may be staying home because of my health. It's not that I don't like going...it's some of the people going that I don't like.
Wish we could meet you too :( If 9th sets one up...we'll try to go

can you account for your whereabouts on the 29th... ;)
pretty sure i was at home maybe

I feel if you are too dumb to look in the box before you give money, then you deserve it.
I also happen to see in the paper today there have been 121 cars broken into around here since the 16 of August and my brother happen to be one of them.

I'm trying to figure out how they didn't catch them if the Impala they were driving didn't have rims on it :scratches: :confused:

Back