Women take more sick days than men

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
Women take more sick days than men

Women take more sick days off work than men, a survey has found.

sniffles_1833488c.jpg

Women take more sick days off work than men Photo: Photolibrary.com

7:30AM BST 25 May 2011

Research shows the average man takes a total of 140 days off sick during their career, while women phone in sick 189 times

Despite this, women are more likely to "try their hardest to make it to their desk" and "feel guilty" if they succumb to illness.

Male employees, on the other hand, are more likely to be called up by their boss because of their poor track record.

Stomach bugs, dizziness and viruses are the most common ailments which strike down the British workforce.

Yesterday Lawrence Christensen, of leading mutual healthcare organisation Benenden Healthcare Society, which commissioned the report, said: "The age-old debate between the sexes continues as our research shows a difference between them when it comes to taking sick leave.

"While men are less likely to shake off the man flu and go to work, women do end up taking more sick days across their careers.
"They might succumb to illness more easily, but women come out on top when it comes to dedication to work. Many men will pick up the phone as soon as they feel a little under the weather, whilst women soldier on for longer.
"However, in all cases, there seems to be a great pressure to battle on and make it into work. This is perhaps even more relevant considering the current weakness of the economy - are British workers being frowned upon if they take sick leave? Would employers rather their staff place their colleagues at risk of infection and illness?
"Employers need to ensure that their sickness absence management procedures are robust. Good, holistic approaches to employee health & wellbeing can result in greater productivity and lower instances of sickness absence."
The representative study of 1,000 men and 1,000 women quizzed them on their attitudes and behaviours towards feeling ill, having to take time off work and drew gender comparisons.
It found the average adult takes three and a half days off work a year because of illness - or 141 during their working life - with men taking 140 and women, 189.
Men fared much worse when it came to their dedication in making it into work though.
Four in ten men admitted to calling in sick the moment they feel ill, a quarter have been called up by their boss and they're more likely to take the easy route out and text or email their manager.
Eight in ten said they try their best to make it into work, compared to nine in ten women, four in ten feel guilty leaving their colleagues in the lurch and just half worry about workloads when they're tucked up in bed.
Just three in ten female workers on the other hand ring in the second they start sniffling and will soldier on regardless.
Fewer than in one five have ever had a talking to by their boss about their sick leave and they will pick up the phone when they have to let others know they won't be in.
Two thirds are left feeling guilty if they have to let their boss know they're staying at home, while just a third of men said the same.
Seventy per cent feel like they are unable to take any time off work, compared to six in ten men who admit to the same pressure.
They have also sat at their desk on at least eight occasions in the last year when they knew they should be at home resting, compared to six for men.
The report also revealed men will ring in sick for more minor 'illnesses' such as hayfever, sore throat and headache, while women stay in bed with symptoms such as vomiting, flu and high temperature.
It also emerged the majority of Brits (37 per cent) would prefer colleagues to stay at home if they are ill, rather than try and soldier on or moan about it in the workplace.
And the typical adult feels 100 per cent well just half of the time.
Yesterday, Dr Tony Williams Consultant Occupational Physician at Benenden Hospital commented on the results: "Everyone who goes off sick does so for a reason, but the reason is not always related to disease or illness.
"Women are usually the principle carer for children and if a child is sick they may take time off 'sick' to look after the child. If managers do more to find out why employees were off sick they may be able to come up with alternative solutions and support mechanisms that can help reduce overall sickness absence. Working from home can often be an answer.
"The fitter people are the less sickness absence they have. Obese people have four days more sickness per year, but many women of normal weight are still physically unfit and more likely to have sickness absence. Businesses that focus on physical fitness and health of their staff through opportunities for healthy eating and exercise will reduce sickness absence substantially."

I'm a big proponent of the "stay the hell home with all of your germ-laden mucus" mindset. I don't want to hear or see you at work if you're ill. If you come in and make me sick as a result, you will land on my ****-list.

Kenny: I have the opposite mindset.. I've came to work sick and prob shouldn't have... If I can walk then I can make it to work..

4.5 years (at current job) and haven't called out. I have like 600 hrs of sick-time built up :)

don't feel to guilty when I call in sick to work....usually get sick due to co-workers who do come in sick to work and spread it around, but really should stay home or the general public coming in for tests with the doctors who are coughing and sputtering their germs around...don't blame them for coming though since they usually have been on a waiting list for 12 to 18 months for these tests...around germs all the time, i guess that's what you get when you work in a hospital....no amount of hand washing will help at times. still love my job though and couldn't ask for a more rewarding career

One sick day in 6.5 years :woot:

It seems like women tend to get sick more often, or at least get hit by illness harder, in my oberservations.

4.5 years @ current job - 0 days sick
3 years @ previous job - 0 days sick
4 years of High School - 0 days sick (Perfect Attendance all 4 years of High School :dancing: ) not like it's anything to brag about :rotfl:

At my current job if you don't use sick time you get $77 (which they say you can put it to a $50 savings bond) but I just pocket the cash :)

Just a thought- but some women take sick days to stay home with sick children as well...I know a lot of the teachers I work with use their sick days for their children and not themselves.

It depended on what I was feeling like, if I had a cough or what not I would go, but if I had no energy or anything worse than a cough I was calling out. Hanging on a trash truck when your weak is a good way to kill yourself. Now when I found out I was getting laid off and found out I was gonna lose half my sick time, I was calling out left and right to burn some time and I still left with close to 200hrs of sick...lol

Back