World’s Oldest Man Dies at 114

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
ap100925154799.jpg

His grandparents told him stories of the Civil War and entertainment didn't come at the push of a button for him. But now at 114 the oldest man in the world, Walter Breuning, has died in Montana. He died of natural causes in a Great Falls hospital, where he had been a patient because of an undisclosed illness.

Having lived at the Rainbow Retirement and Assisted Living Center in Great Falls, Montana for the last 32 years, Breuning was in good health. He was a lifelong cigar smoker, but quit in 1999. He was able to walk, and ate two meals a day. He maintained a sharp mind and accurate memory. For example, he could remember his grandfather talking about his experiences in the American Civil War when he was three years old, and remembered the day President William McKinley was shot as the day "I got my first haircut". He took no prescription medications. In November 2007, at the age of 111, Breuning was fitted with hearing aids.
On his 112th birthday, Breuning said the secret to long life is being active: "[If] you keep your mind busy and keep your body busy, you're going to be around a long time."
The week before his 113th birthday in September 2009, Breuning fell and bruised his scalp, but was otherwise unhurt.
Breuning dressed in a suit and tie every day. On April 24, 2009 at the age of 112, Breuning was interviewed on CBS by Steve Hartman for Assignment America. When asked by Hartman if he would do a second CBS interview in four years, Breuning said, "Well hell you sure can!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Breuning

• Staff
if his only problem was hearing at the age of 111, I'd say he was doing well. Especially no prescription pills at that age. That's unheard of. Essentially clear bill of health after 100+yrs... good genes.

Back