gauging interest in headlight retrofits - HIDs

I would be sort of interested, having played with 35w plug N' play HID kits in the past, however I would want to get good ballasts and bulbs this time around. The eBay specials were OK for a while, but crapped out after a year. To be fair, this was a bi-xenon kit, and the bulbs wear lots when switching from low to high beam and back. Also at the time I was doing a lot of driving, 3 hours a day mostly in the dark, 5 days a week. I was OK with that, the added light was great while it lasted.

If the optics are good ( well defined cut off ) I would be tempted to go with a 55w ballast and bulb. I have been looking over the TRS website, but think I will put money in towards wheels and tires and rear sway bar before installing a projector kit.

mini h1 cutoff at 35 ft

MARna3p.jpg

other projectors compared at various distances
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/content.php?2-Bi-Xenon-Output-Comparison-TL-E55-Murano-FX-IS-e46-LR3

Do you have to register at HID planet to see the pictures? None of the pictures in the thread linked show up for me.

no, they're all hosted on photobucket in that thread... no registration required.

webby I am in the process of getting all the $ together for my retro fits on my 13' fb6. i had two different sets (fx-r and TSX) on my 8th gen and i loved them to death.... they are worth every penny.

I am not sure what your intentions are in this thread(are you selling? or looking at how many people want them?) but am looking at the $600 range for parts and labor(without headlights and shipping) to get mine done with RX330 which is similar to the quality of TSX.

im going to look at the DIY on those mini retros but nothing beats a good quality retro fit.... its the first major mod i am doing to my car.... i wont have a car without a nice set of projectors so i am excited to get them.

I have a number of sets on hand... just haven't decided what price to sell them for. I'm asking what would get people excited... and who would want to do a diy. No one has named a price yet.

I only have mini h1 on hand currently. I don't mind people throwing out stupid numbers if it means more people get interested in doing some retros. I won't be offended by lowball figures.

:word:

well depending on if i bought a second set of headlights in case i mess up my stock ones(or buy a second pair for the retrofit) id be willing to pay $200 range if its really discounted

the H1 dont look horribly hard to do but i will need to buy some extra stuff like clamps ect to make the whole process work :think: i wonder if mucter
would help :eyebrows: :giggle:

Last edited:
They only run around $130/pair shipped at most places. I'll be selling below that.

i'm curious as to how many people on this forum have a full retrofit done.
not to thread jack or anything but i may end up selling my set up bc im working on another set right now.

I believe I've seen like 4 or 5 9ths post theirs here.

I may do it anyway cause no matter why retros are the first thing I'm getting done to the car

Back