What's wrong with the scene?

thatSIguy

Moore, Ok
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Si
I've noticed in the past week that forums are not getting the love they deserve. I am a member on Import Atlanta and VAdriven. I have noticed that there are not as many active members as there used to be. It is thoroughly disappointing due to the fact that a lot of local forums were to be the best way to find meets, or to just network with some decent people. I have been on a 4 year hiatus from the "scene" and am shocked. So what is your opinion? Has the general interest level gone down for car enthusiasts?

act.png

Activity is on a steady incline here. Maybe those forums are losing local members, or users are buying different vehicles that don't match up with those sites?

While this site is relatively new, the local threads are growing. squiggy created a user location thread/map for users to pin themselves on the map.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/member-locations-user-location-map.5772/

The more who add themselves, the better it helps in local users finding one another for meets, etc.

If it's been a few years you might be seeing people ah, how to put this nicely, grow out of their hobby. I noticed it on a couple gaming forums that I was quite active on. As the general crowd grew in size the active members also seemed to age out of it. Sometimes it just depends.

Interests change...

It is kinda weird to me that all the things I used to do, are now the things I hate. I used to think I was hot **** as an 18 year old with my 98 ex coupe, and my turbo LS motor. I would pick on anyone to race. Call it maturation, but I cant stand when some spoon fed kid does that **** to me now. So I have tried to mentor more than anything. I like to think of it as turning a "ricer" into a well informed, respectful car enthusiast.

You got to remember that it is now summer time and some "kids" are getting part time jobs, summer vacations and just out playing in the nice weather. As for moving to a different car, I am part of that group. That's why I'm here now. I come from a 1992 Supercharged Thunderbird, and before that, a 1988 Turbocharged Tbird. I am somewhat active on the ford superduty sites and here. I also recently picked up a 2013 EX-L V6 Accord Coupe and am active on that site as well. Just some things to ponder.

It is kinda weird to me that all the things I used to do, are now the things I hate. I used to think I was hot **** as an 18 year old with my 98 ex coupe, and my turbo LS motor. I would pick on anyone to race. Call it maturation, but I cant stand when some spoon fed kid does that **** to me now. So I have tried to mentor more than anything. I like to think of it as turning a "ricer" into a well informed, respectful car enthusiast.

This X 1000. Everyone has to grow up sometime. I almost want to debadge the Si sometimes... Im tired of the hipster kids around here instagating a race. Tail gating, revving ... With their beanie babies hanging off thier useless tow hook ( 95 % of these idiots dont even race thier car on a track were that would be useful :banghead:) and their shocker stickers and their " i love cops" stickers... sooooo lame!!!

I agree on the spoon fed comment as well. I swear I see some of these kids and they look like they are 17 years old tops and their car has at least 5k or more in mods... Im sure not all of them had it handed to them but I can bet a lot of them did...

Sorry for the rant....

Last edited:
Glad I don't have to put up with that....around where I live it's mostly just " good ole boys" with
4x4 pickup trucks with deer and duck stickers all over the windows.

A lot of people use facebook as a way of communicating fully now. That's really frustrating and disappointing for online communities...like forums.

Reactions: Nix
I have a facebook account, but look at it maybe once a week. I can't stand it, and your pictures, once uploaded, becomes theirs. Even if you mark it private, they still belong to facebook and they use them as they feel fit to. That, and your info is sold to 3rd parties. no thanks.

Reactions: Nix
I think it's a few things... first, kids turning 16 nowadays are just plain spoiled. Not to hurt anyone's feelings but if you are 16 and are on this forum with a 9th gen civic that is yours (or your parents' car but you don't share it with someone) and aren't paying for by yourself, you are spoiled.

This theory in plain would generate more forum traffic and make the scene grow, but I think my point is that it's not really 9th gen civics I see 16 year olds with, it's even more expensive cars. In my area i've seen 16-17 year olds driving BMW, Mercedes, etc.

A while back most kids that were getting cars were buying up those older Civics and other similar econoboxes and decided to modify them or had to repair them to get them running well. Now it seems that kids are just handed a brand new car and never have to learn to change their oil because their parents pay for their maintenance at the dealership and/or their car doesn't need much maintenance because it's brand new. Then kids naturally don't get an interest in modding since they've never opened the hood, and if they do gain interest the parents won't let them mod since it's not the kid's car and it's new instead of an old econobox.

The other thing is I see a ton of people, including some members here (don't get offended), paying to have all their mods installed (and I'm talking about easy stuff like base bushings and intakes and even some medium difficulty mods like lowering springs, not tire mounting which requires expensive equipment or tint which you should have done professionally). That's not what being an enthusiast is about. IMO it's kind of poserish to have other people mod your car for you and then drive around acting all cool. It also prevents you from ever learning about your car, which also prevents you from contributing much to the scene. This all goes back to the spoiled kids topic... a lot of their parents just pay for the mods to be installed. Or laziness; I think it varies.

Webby, I think this forum is growing because it's 9thgen specific and it's still a relatively new generation. Same with the 8th gen. But Honda-Tech and other forums that bridge the entire Civic lifetime are dropping in membership and activity because the older Civics that most of those people modded are getting really old now. This is why I am glad I transitioned from 90's Hondas to present day Hondas... everything has already been done to the 90's Civics and it's outright impossible to make your clean looking 90's civic unique in any way. At least with the 9th gen the possibilities are still endless since more products continue to be developed.

Last edited:
Back