Sub and amp help?

budurka29

Does any1 know about subs and amps ? Im trying my best to understand the ohms and stuff i got that i need to match the ratings but i would have no idea how to wire it up? I wana get 2 pioneer 12in champion series subs that have a 2000 watt peak and a 600 watt rms. im probly gana do one at a time. So i need to know what amp should i get first that will run both of them?

Pioneer Ts-w3003d4 12" 2,000-watt Champion Series pro Sub-woofer

Thats the sub i want 2 of them right now i have a 12 in kicker thats kinda poop for quality it hits hard and will shake ur car but thats about it i wana be able to listen to it not blow my ear drums. It only hits a certain range and the pioneer will hit almost anything . I just want to know a good amp and wire size to go with.

The wire gauge is dependant on the power the amp requires. So if you have 2 - 600W RMS/2000W Max sub's you can run anywhere from 1000W - 4000W for an amplifier for 2 subs which would probably require 2 gauge wires for power. If you're looking for a sub that is high quality at all volume ranges I would strongly recommend going JL Audio. I had 2- 10w0's running off a 500w amp in my last car and they sounded really good for such small and low powered drivers. And I just upgraded to a 10W3 with a JL 500w mono amp for my Si which should be wired up and installed over the weekend. I've never heard a single bad thing about JL Audio products and I have nothing but good things to say myself. As for other Audio companies, you really do get what you pay for. I bet 1 JL would sound as good or better than 2 pioneers

I second the going with JL Audio. To be honest i guarantee 1 10w7 and a 500/1 JL Amp Will crap on both those pioneers in both spl/sql. Pioneer is going to be the same as the kicker you currently have will not leave you satisfied imho.

Now what you want to concern yourself more with is perfecting the 1x 10w7 in the space you have, meaning building a box specifically designed for your trunk. Then decide whether you want ported or closed box. On a side note always reference to RMS as the true wattage of an amp/sub as that is the only true rating the max is just a max that has been attained but not necessarily efficient/clear at that wattage. Also look into upgrading your stock wiring on your car and do the Big 3 Upgrade where you increase gauge in car's grounds and from Alternator to positive end on the battery (make sure to use a fuse here)

Another touch on the RMS/ MAX subject. RMS is considered optimal power for the driver meaning this range will produce the best sound quality for the speaker. Pushing a sub (or any speaker for that matter) beyond RMS will distort the sound and could damage the speaker if it is powered too high for too long.

Also a JL 10w7 would be the ideal sub based on sound quality and output. However, these are some of the most expensive car subwoofers available. Assuming your price range is about $400 as that is what you were looking at spending for the Pioneers, I would recommend going with a JL 10W3 that you can get for about $250 - $350 USD and a 500/1 amp for about the same price. If you want to spend the extra money a JL 10W6 will probably cost $600 or a JL 10W7 about $800 but these will require a larger amplifier.

If you are looking at a custom sub enclosure, I will be making a DIY in the next week or so (hopefully) for a fiberglass box in the wheel well as I am almost finished building mine. But if you're not concerned with using trunk space or having a big box in your trunk, you can pull a decent design based on volume required for the sub you buy off the internet.

Another touch on the RMS/ MAX subject. RMS is considered optimal power for the driver meaning this range will produce the best sound quality for the speaker. Pushing a sub (or any speaker for that matter) beyond RMS will distort the sound and could damage the speaker if it is powered too high for too long.

Also a JL 10w7 would be the ideal sub based on sound quality and output. However, these are some of the most expensive car subwoofers available. Assuming your price range is about $400 as that is what you were looking at spending for the Pioneers, I would recommend going with a JL 10W3 that you can get for about $250 - $350 USD and a 500/1 amp for about the same price. If you want to spend the extra money a JL 10W6 will probably cost $600 or a JL 10W7 about $800 but these will require a larger amplifier.

If you are looking at a custom sub enclosure, I will be making a DIY in the next week or so (hopefully) for a fiberglass box in the wheel well as I am almost finished building mine. But if you're not concerned with using trunk space or having a big box in your trunk, you can pull a decent design based on volume required for the sub you buy off the internet.

Honestly keep me updated on the diy! And price wasnt much of an issue i mean no im not gana spend thousands on a system but no more cheap stuff. Like a $60 kicker lol. But the only reason i was going with those subs was they were highly rated on a top 10 website but i heard jl is very good

Sorry I forgot to send you more info regarding my build. I finished the box last week, hooked up and tuned the amp but decided to refinish the front of the enclosure because I had a couple sandpaper scratches and stuff that were bothering me. It should be all done and installed by the end of the day today. Here is a link for the DIY:
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/c...ubwoofer-speaker-enclosure.11773/#post-304814

If you're still looking for a quality sub/ amp I bought mine off eBay from mobile sound works (I think that's the sellers name). I got an amazing deal on everything and once I tuned the amp, the sound was pretty much perfect. Clean, low and hits where I needs to :) I will be upgrading factory amp and speakers next but gunna wait until I can't stand the stock ones anymore as they're holding up alright for now

Also, if I may be honest... the first system I bought for my first car was a $50 MTX 12" powered by an Alpine MRP-500. It was loud! Everything since I've put 10"s in my car as they sound soo much cleaner and hit tighter. BUT it's all personal preference. Also JL makes great products so their 10"s can be mistaken for 12's which is why I went with them. Did two 10w0's in my last car and they were good, but the one 10w3 is WOW! Hahaha. I love it!!!

Last edited:
So putting 2 10's would sound better? The only reason i hate my set up now is it either hits to low and cant tell i have it or it hits to hard and distorts my music. I can tune my amp for hours with no luck. I think it has alot to do with a shitty amp and box like the box i have now is falling apart thats probly were most of the buzz sounds comming from when it hits

Since you were originally going to start with one, I would say buy a JL 10w3 and JL JX500/1. Its like they were made for each other. To me this is a perfect setup. Not too much and by no means little. It adds an excellent amount of bass to all my music. If you want more, then you can always upgrade by getting another sub and upgrade the amplifier to a 1000W. But don't go to a 1000w unless you need it for 2 subs or you may damage a single by overpowering it. Also, if you were looking at upgrading your speakers too you could go for a JL XD900/5 which gives 100W x 4 to speakers and 500W x 1 to a sub. I will be doing this and selling my current amp once I decide to upgrade. But I may not be doing this for a while as the 900/5 is over $1000 and speakers would be another $500-$1000

Since you were originally going to start with one, I would say buy a JL 10w3 and JL JX500/1. Its like they were made for each other. To me this is a perfect setup. Not too much and by no means little. It adds an excellent amount of bass to all my music. If you want more, then you can always upgrade by getting another sub and upgrade the amplifier to a 1000W. But don't go to a 1000w unless you need it for 2 subs or you may damage a single by overpowering it. Also, if you were looking at upgrading your speakers too you could go for a JL XD900/5 which gives 100W x 4 to speakers and 500W x 1 to a sub. I will be doing this and selling my current amp once I decide to upgrade. But I may not be doing this for a while as the 900/5 is over $1000 and speakers would be another $500-$1000

Exactly thats why im still tinkering with mine but if u ever do sell your set up i will be happy to buy it :p cause i wont be doing any upgrades for awhile either. I really want to upgrade to 6.5s in the rear deck but they say its the amp. Of course the most expensive part :/ a good 4 channel amp is like $500 . And tbh i dont know how to wire stock setup would u remove the factory amp all together? But either way ill need a new amp and box cause im pretty sure my sub is fine all the reading i did on it says it shouldnt sound like that. Probly upgrade wire sizes and all too . Does speaker wire size matter? Im running like 16/14 gage wire to sub some say i should be running like 10 gauge speaker wire im new to all this so i have no idea

Also i love bass . I want it to hit hard and shake a bit like feel it threw the seats the only problem is i dont want it to just sound like vibrations . I want a good clean bass hit. Thats the problem with mine i listen to screamo and when the double bass pedals hit its just like a loud humming -.- i want to hear each hit

Exactly thats why im still tinkering with mine but if u ever do sell your set up i will be happy to buy it :p cause i wont be doing any upgrades for awhile either. I really want to upgrade to 6.5s in the rear deck but they say its the amp. Of course the most expensive part :/ a good 4 channel amp is like $500 . And tbh i dont know how to wire stock setup would u remove the factory amp all together? But either way ill need a new amp and box cause im pretty sure my sub is fine all the reading i did on it says it shouldnt sound like that. Probly upgrade wire sizes and all too . Does speaker wire size matter? Im running like 16/14 gage wire to sub some say i should be running like 10 gauge speaker wire im new to all this so i have no idea
When I think of selling my amo ill let you know. I will be keeping the sub and box as the 10W3 is perfect for what i want and the enclosure has taken me more time than i would like to admit to get it perfect so its very unlikely i will be parting with that.

If you check out Hill stones thread for his upgrade he shows the magnet size of all the speakers. The front speakers are decent but the rears have tiny magnets. A speaker upgrade in the rear will improve the system but the amplifier is holding everything back from its full potential.

If you are looking at speakers plus sub there are a number of options available. For instance, you could get a 3 channel amp that would power your rears and sub. a 5 channel would be ideal as it would power the whole system. You could also do a mono amp for sub and 4 channel for speakers but this gets more complicated in terms of wiring. However, this would be better than a three channel amp and leaving the stock amp in.

Wire size does matter but not as much as you may think for speakers. It matters more for power wire that you would run to your amp.

If you want your sub to hit well and be clean for double kicks I definitely recommend 10's. They hit much tighter than 12's and you should be able to hear every kick crisp and clear. Two 10's would give a little extra punch if one doesn't deliver but mine certainly does and I have no desire at the moment to go beyond one sub.

Last edited:
When I think of selling my amo ill let you know. I will be keeping the sub and box as the 10W3 is perfect for what i want and the enclosure has taken me more time than i would like to admit to get it perfect so its very unlikely i will be parting with that.

If you check out Hill stones thread for his upgrade he shows the magnet size of all the speakers. The front speakers are decent but the rears have tiny magnets. A speaker upgrade in the rear will improve the system but the amplifier is holding everything back from its full potential.

If you are looking at speakers plus sub there are a number of options available. For instance, you could get a 3 channel amp that would power your rears and sub. a 5 channel would be ideal as it would power the whole system. You could also do a mono amp for sub and 4 channel for speakers but this gets more complicated in terms of wiring. However, this would be better than a three channel amp and leaving the stock amp in.

Wire size does matter but not as much as you may think for speakers. It matters more for power wire that you would run to your amp.

If you want your sub to hit well and be clean for double kicks I definitely recommend 10's. They hit much tighter than 12's and you should be able to hear every kick crisp and clear. Two 10's would give a little extra punch if one doesn't deliver but mine certainly does and I have no desire at the moment to go beyond one sub.

Thanks for all your feedback you helped more then you know! Also i saw how much work u put into that box :p probly more sentimental value :p haha but yea hmu if u ever selling anything

Thanks for all your feedback you helped more then you know! Also i saw how much work u put into that box :p probly more sentimental value :p haha but yea hmu if u ever selling anything
You're welcome!! Ya hahaha it was an adventure. I will update more pics for that DIY today to finally show the completed product lol. Been busy getting it ready in time for ROTM as that is my only chance hahaha. If you have any other q's or anything just message me and I'll help as much as I can

You're welcome!! Ya hahaha it was an adventure. I will update more pics for that DIY today to finally show the completed product lol. Been busy getting it ready in time for ROTM as that is my only chance hahaha. If you have any other q's or anything just message me and I'll help as much as I can

Thanks a bunch :) i just got a $600 amazon loyalty card but sadly no performance parts are sold on amazon :( i was hoping to get lowering springs and exhaust . But i guess ill use that $600 towards sound system

Nice. I'm looking at doing exhaust and CAI or Coilovers and rear sway. But have to decide on parts first. It's hard to choose with out actually seeing/ hearing them!

Nice. I'm looking at doing exhaust and CAI or Coilovers and rear sway. But have to decide on parts first. It's hard to choose with out actually seeing/ hearing them!

Honestly that was my biggest problem i wanted to see or hear them but ill let u hear it wen i install it

Back