Official Computer Talk Thread

@bootyluvr whats your take on the new line of AMD Ryzen processors. I've been looking at specs and reviews and it seems AMD is actually trying to stick it to intel with their new line of processors.

@bootyluvr whats your take on the new line of AMD Ryzen processors. I've been looking at specs and reviews and it seems AMD is actually trying to stick it to intel with their new line of processors.
I'm loving it. The reviews have been pretty amazing for the price compared to intel. The only "downfall" at this moment would be gaming. Most games are written for intel processors. PC world talks about it here, but says to opt for the better gpu if you're a gamer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...ow-about-amds-disruptive-multicore-chips.html

and this was just released yesterday about the amd threadripper versus the intel i9 processor. AMD was 30% faster
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-benchmarks/

I'm loving it. The reviews have been pretty amazing for the price compared to intel. The only "downfall" at this moment would be gaming. Most games are written for intel processors. PC world talks about it here, but says to opt for the better gpu if you're a gamer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...ow-about-amds-disruptive-multicore-chips.html

and this was just released yesterday about the amd threadripper versus the intel i9 processor. AMD was 30% faster
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-benchmarks/
Yeah most ofthe reviews ive seen have said that the pure gaming runs better in intel because of better single thread processes but when it comes to multi core functionality the ryzen processors cant be beat for the price.

I think when i look at updating my rig later this year I may consider bumping up to either the 1700 or 1800 ryzen 7. Im also interested to see if the newest graphics card they are releasing can compete with nvidia cards.

Yeah most ofthe reviews ive seen have said that the pure gaming runs better in intel because of better single thread processes but when it comes to multi core functionality the ryzen processors cant be beat for the price.

I think when i look at updating my rig later this year I may consider bumping up to either the 1700 or 1800 ryzen 7. Im also interested to see if the newest graphics card they are releasing can compete with nvidia cards.

That always seems to be the case with AMD vs Intel processors. Intel can't be beat with the features and single core processing power. AMD hands down better value for multiple cores. Haven't checked up on the new stuff lately. Currently content with my 4770k and sli 970's

I moved away from the top CPU sets going i5 on my build. Only really need them for computation. Rendering is GPU territory and that's where you wanna spend the money.

As a consumer, I want disk speed and graphics.

I play games ones in a while so I kind of put it to use. But I honestly just got it for fun lol

lol I mainly use my PC for gaming (when I use it).

I've never been a fan of dual cards. Always single nicer card is what I've used.

When I do refresh my pc I'm contemplating switching to nvidia for the gpu simply because ek waterblocks offers a all in one watercooling setup that includes the graphics card in the loop..

When I do refresh my pc I'm contemplating switching to nvidia for the gpu simply because ek waterblocks offers a all in one watercooling setup that includes the graphics card in the loop..

You feel the need to go full water setup?

I don't know if water cooling is all that necessary especially if you're not going to overclock things. The new smaller die sizes means less power per computation unit. I went the HTPC route with pretty high specs on all the components and pretty minimal cooling (two 120mm fans, CPU fan, GPU fan). I have no problems with cooling even running games on Ultra settings. Things get up to close to 70C for the GPU and 50C for the CPU. Yeah, they're hot but I haven't run into throttling issues.

Water cooling looks cool, but it makes your computer expensive and gigantic.

+1 to what @FooBird said.

I have (2) front fans, (1) rear fan, CPU cooler (212 EVO) and stock fans on the GPU.

GPU: 70C (max) when gaming for a long time in my office at home that gets hot in the summer time
CPU: 50-60C when gaming for a long time in my office at home that gets hot in the summer time

I haven't decided yet. I'm kinda in the mindset that if I'm replacing basically everything anyway it can't hurt to run the full loop. It comes as a kit for like 240ish. I know better than to do a full on custom loop, I priced one of those out just to see and that's way more than I'd ever spend.

Back