Squiggy and Spidergirl's Annual Halloween Movie Fest!

Hello hello! With October just two short days away, I'm back (with my adorable skeleton Sprocket avatar) to let you know that this year's theme will be.......REMAKES!
Yeah...I'm not too excited about it, but we decided to keep it easy this year due to our busy schedules. This marks year 8 for our fun horror fest. As always, we'll try to keep the repeats to a minimum. I believe we've had 8 repeats out of 200+ movies. Not too shabby!

remakes.jpg

Have you seen any of these previously? I'd love to get feedback on what you think of some of these as you watch. I've not seen many remakes.

Have you seen any of these previously? I'd love to get feedback on what you think of some of these as you watch. I've not seen many remakes.
I've seen these versions of The Thing and The Fly before.

The Thing is awesome, despite the sad dog scene. Very much a story of "no one is safe." I've never seen the 1951 film it's based on, so I have no comparison. The newest version (2011) isn't a remake, it's a prequel...but still good, so I'd recommend seeing it after this one.

They Fly is so gross. LoL It's definitely a Cronenberg flick. I love that Jeff Goldblum's character stays devoted to his experiment through everything. Sadly I've not seen the Vincent Price original yet, though I believe it's on Netflix, so maybe I will soon.

I've only seen the original of The Blob. I honestly like the original better because it's ridiculous. However, this remake has great good old fashioned special effects.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I never knew they remade that movie. Gonna have to watch some of these.

So, Psycho was a scene for scene remake but not nearly as good. For starters, it's in color and doesn't feel the same. Also, despite my love of Vince Vaughn, he's no Anthony Perkins. It does visually look like an old movie, though, so it's got that going for it.

Day 5: (1995) Village of the Damned

A film that John Carpenter was not entirely excited about...I don't blame him. ;)

1995 Village of the Damned.jpg

I'm going to have to rewatch the psycho remake. I haven't seen it since it was released and I kinda forget how it was.

I'm going to have to rewatch the psycho remake. I haven't seen it since it was released and I kinda forget how it was.
Yeah. I honestly couldn't remember if I'd seen it or not. After watching it, I'm still not sure if I ever saw it before or not. Very "meh."

Day 6: (1999) The Haunting

Stephen King wrote the first draft (eventually working it into Rose Red) and Wes Craven was originally attached...leading me to believe this could've been a much better movie.

1999 The Haunting.jpg

Day 7: (2003) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

John Larroquette provided the narration in the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). Despite becoming a distinguished actor in the years since, he happily agreed to reprise his role for the remake.

2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre.jpg

Update on my opinions so far:
Village of the Damned isn't too bad. I enjoy the concept of the movie, that feeling of almost helplessness. Also, the little kid that plays David is adorable. Too bad this ended up being the last movie Christopher Reeve did before being wheelchair-bound.

The Haunting always feels like a lesser version of Rose Red (I enjoy RR's characters more). However, the sets and effects in The Haunting are quite good. Plus...you can't go wrong with Liam Neeson. I'm still imagining what it would've been like with the original Stephen King script and Wes Craven attached. Holy moley! :)

All versions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre are great! It's the quintessential helpless teen slasher movie. Not nearly as gory as expected, it has its moments. Plus, any time you can incorporate R. Lee Ermey as his typical role of asshat is a good time.

Back