Official Computer Talk Thread

Windows 11 inserts more ads in the start menu with latest update

MSA-attach-WIP-blog-1024x541.png

I can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure my pi-hole (insert big-boned joke here) is the reason I never see that garbage.

I can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure my pi-hole (insert big-boned joke here) is the reason I never see that garbage.
are you running 11 on your home computer? That'd be interesting if it really is blocking that

saw that too. looks interesting.

My wife has an older laptop that she just uses for the budget spreadsheet and a few other things since she's too lazy to transfer it over to her new LG Gram laptop.. But when she finally does that maybe I'll wipe it and put AtlasOS on it. Hmmm :think:

My wife has an older laptop that she just uses for the budget spreadsheet and a few other things since she's too lazy to transfer it over to her new LG Gram laptop.. But when she finally does that maybe I'll wipe it and put AtlasOS on it. Hmmm :think:
Or Linux?

are you running 11 on your home computer? That'd be interesting if it really is blocking that
Yes, I am. I use a separate raspberry pi with Pi-hole installed to act as my DNS server. Pi-hole is software that aggregates lists of known advertising/spam/etc domains and sends them to a "black hole" when any website attempts to access them; hence the name. The result is that I practically never see ads on any device I use at home, and website browsing overall is sped up as a result.
It's an absolute dream and I will never go without one. My assumption is that the domains being used for their form of advertising are blocked entirely, which is why I never see them. I can't confirm for sure without knowing which domains Microsoft is using to serve the ads and comparing them to the logs on the server.

4090! What’s in the system currently that you’re upgrading from?

What did you do with that? Collecting dust...
The "old" computer replaced the one in my bedroom, which replaced a 1080.
In my defense, the game I play the most, Eve Online, did a recent graphics overhaul and the 3090 wasn't cutting it anymore on three 2K monitors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The "old" computer replaced the one in my bedroom, which replaced a 1080.
In my defense, the game I play the most, Eve Online, did a recent graphics overhaul and the 3090 wasn't cutting it anymore on three 2K monitors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What brand 1080? I collect them. I have @FooBird old EVGA 1080 :hiding:

Back