Lug nut replacement help

TeeEyeVany

Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si w/Navi
Body Style
Coupe
Hey this may be a stupid question but I've been looking for this for a while now and don't want to drop money on something that won't work. I was thinking about buying some new lug nuts for the summer. Something just to "set off" the wheels a bit. I am going to be keeping the stock wheel (2012 SI) and was wondering if any aftermarket lug nuts will be safe to use with the stock wheels.

Also, does anybody know what "seat type" we have on the stock lug nuts on our cars?

Well I just bought Gorilla lug nuts for my car:

GOR-21133BL.jpg

Figure: Blue Gorilla Lugs

But I needed to buy Speedstar Taper Conversion washers because aftermarket lugs pretty much sit in a 60 degree angle and it is not ideal and not recommended for our stock wheels. The stock lug nuts have ball seats (or 45 degree seats).

taper3_500x375.jpg

Figure: aftermarket lug with 60 degree seat vs. ball seat lug

taper1_500x375.jpg

Figure: Conversion washer on aftermarket lug vs ball seat lug

You can get these from kseriesparts.com (used to be the ClubRSX parts store).

It's free shipping though which is awesome. What lugs did you get?

I have been considering aftermarket lugs for my car also ('12 Si Sedan). With the conversion washer that Dar-Dar mentioned that makes everything work? No performance or function lost? Where did you order you lugs from?

With the conversion washer that Dar-Dar mentioned that makes everything work? No performance or function lost? Where did you order you lugs from?
The only problem with installing aftermarket lugs on a stock wheel is that there would be less surface contact between the lugs and the wheel. This is the reason why aftermarket lugs are not recommended on stock wheels. The taper washer makes up for what the aftermarket lacks and makes them sit properly.

I received the Taper Washer Conversion today and the Gorilla lugs last Monday. I installed them today since my tires needed rotating. The pics below will give you an idea on what the washer looks like on the aftermarket lug nut.
IMG_3324.jpg

Figure: Aftermarket lug with washer (upside down), Aftermarket lug with washer, and washer.

IMG_3319.jpg

Figure: Close-up of the washer on the lug nut

I should have taken a comparison picture of the aftermarket lug nut with washer vs aftermarket lug nut vs stock lug, but I forgot. Lol. It's also pretty annoying to get the washer to sit correctly on the wheel, unless the wheels are wet so it can slide and sit in place.

I don't have a picture of the lugs installed on the car since it's dark outside.

Not sure but I would imagine that I will have to pay duty when mine come into the post office...does anybody have any idea of what it would be or how duty is calculated?

found a site that says importing lug nuts (or a car part) worth $100 in the US, would have ~$14 of duties/taxes imposed in Nova Scotia

Lol. I forgot to take pics today. I'm really liking the set of blue lugs on my car since it matches the fiji blue pearl paint. It doesn't match my Work valve stems though since the stems are a lighter blue color. I also like how the aftermarket lugs poke oit more than the stock. I'll try to take pics over the weekend.

Ok thanks webby...Probably will be the same or very close to it here in NL
Not sure what you paid, but anything under $100 likely won't have any taxes/duties. This is based on a whole lot of online clothing shopping I do from the US, lol. I learned to split up my purchases to come just under the duty amount. If they ship via USPS then you will just pay regular duty (the $14 tax/$100 spent that Webby mentioned), but if they ship with Fedex, UPS, etc then you will likely get dinged with brokerage fees too, which are often a minimum of $25 on top of the taxes/duties charged. I try and go with USPS whenever possible just because of that, it pisses me off to pay an extra $25+ for no real reason other than they used a courier instead of regular post.

man that sucks. Let us know how it goes with your lugs then

I'll keep you posted...They have yet to be shipped...order is still processing :( They will use USPS though...I remember I bought shoes from the US and they shipped using DHL and when they came I had to pay duty and fees of almost $40 and the shoes were only $100 to begin with :s

I'll keep you posted...They have yet to be shipped...order is still processing :( They will use USPS though...I remember I bought shoes from the US and they shipped using DHL and when they came I had to pay duty and fees of almost $40 and the shoes were only $100 to begin with :s
Yep, been down that road before. My $109 boots cost almost another $87 in fees and brokerage by the time I received them. So I've become anti-courier, lol.

Back