Car Sales 101- Everything you ever wanted to know....

Some good info, thanks for sharing.....

Too bad this came after I bought my car, cause I know did quite a bit of the no-no's.....lol

Great amount of info in this thread! I shopped around before finalizing on my car, and I'd definatly say the vibe from the dealer and his overall attitude made me choose them. And they also had exactly what I wanted. I didn't try to talk em down, or anything, just told him why I needed a new car and he worked with me. Ended up getting a couple add ons for almost nothing and got a lower interest rate than I was originally quoted the first day. All in all I have recommended him and will continue to.

New member here, I'm looking to get an SI but I want to pay cash for most of the car. How would i go about it? cashiers check?

Yeah, get a cashiers check in the amount you want to pay off in cash.

Edit: Can't you just go to the bank where the money is being stored (assuming it's in a bank) and ask them to write a certified/cashiers check?

Edit: Can't you just go to the bank where the money is being stored (assuming it's in a bank) and ask them to write a certified/cashiers check?

Yes.

I did that for the Si.

For the vette, I took a loan to drive it home, then transferred the funds via internet from my bank to pay off the loan. I think I incurred $7 in one day's worth of interest.

Are there any incentives going on for previous honda leaseholders/financiers? I've had 2 hondas and 2 acuras under my credit within the last 4 years and I want to know if I'll get an added incentive when getting a new si. I'm trying to trade my 2012 auto tsx base with 13k miles for the si, but I can't find the book value. A Honda dealer quoted me 25.5k in feb, but a nissan dealer quoted me $22.5k two weeks ago....what should I expect for my car. It's immaculate. Help is appreciated. As Webby knows, I've been teetering between selling / not selling for a while now.

kelly blue book doesn't even have values for the 2012 tsx yet. Edmunds has it listed for a value of 25k trade in.

Great thread, and thx......... I'd like to know your opinion on leasing..... is it a good or bad thing ? Seems like a lot of ppl do it.

I think leasing is a great thing if you like a new car a lot. I know with Toyota, even if you go over your mileage, you are forgiven as long as the car is traded in on a new Toyota/Scion.

I leased a Camry and was able to get out of it 4 months later for my FR-S, and has absoutely 0 negative equity, it made me feel great. Plus, a 32k Camry for 350/mo was nice haha!

Thx........ I did it because it gave me a lower monthly amount to pay on........ I usually keep e'm a long time, I'll see.

Do dealers hate it when you take the financing offer to get a better price and then pay it off a day later or do they get their incentive for securing the financing in the first place?

It seems almost like a backhanded compliment. Although I approve of such tactics.

This was my first car purchase and what made me walk out of the first dealer was their sleazy pricing. They internet quoted me a super low ball number but then when we sat down at the table, they added $3300 to the price they quoted me online. I understood the tax and dealer prep fees but there was another grand in BS + some over priced nonsense like pin stripes and 3M edge guards. I was very specific in my email about what I wanted and "what is the out the door price". Also this first dealer acted like he had no idea what he could sell the car for as if this was his first civic sale of the year and they played the evil manager (who I couldn't talk to, if he even existed)/nice salesman game. I think many people like me do not respond to those sorts of games/tactics and it's very transparent what is happening.

The second dealer was straight up with pricing and when I was negotiating, he got the "manager" in the room to talk the final numbers. This was also the dealer who went above and beyond to find my specific model/color and I was fine paying extra for an off lot car they had to search and transport. The other dealer lied and said they never made any in the color/model I wanted. this kinda stuff is why buying a new car is so frustrating.

one thing to look at is in NY when you trade a vehicle in, you get trade in credits towards the taxes... my 2012 SI was 22k otd, they gave me 22k for my wrx (even though i owed 17) but because the paying off of the WRX and buying the civic are 2 separate transactions, i was credited 22k towards the civic, thus paid $45 in taxes on the registration and that is it. (saved me about 2 grand)
i think they exact # was 22,500 for the wrx , so i would have had to sell it for 24.5k

This was my first car purchase and what made me walk out of the first dealer was their sleazy pricing. They internet quoted me a super low ball number but then when we sat down at the table, they added $3300 to the price they quoted me online. I understood the tax and dealer prep fees but there was another grand in BS + some over priced nonsense like pin stripes and 3M edge guards. I was very specific in my email about what I wanted and "what is the out the door price". Also this first dealer acted like he had no idea what he could sell the car for as if this was his first civic sale of the year and they played the evil manager (who I couldn't talk to, if he even existed)/nice salesman game. I think many people like me do not respond to those sorts of games/tactics and it's very transparent what is happening.

The second dealer was straight up with pricing and when I was negotiating, he got the "manager" in the room to talk the final numbers. This was also the dealer who went above and beyond to find my specific model/color and I was fine paying extra for an off lot car they had to search and transport. The other dealer lied and said they never made any in the color/model I wanted. this kinda stuff is why buying a new car is so frustrating.

glad there was another dealer that could help you out.

Back