'12 Si - Factory Bluetooth/Waze/iOS Issue

AlmosN8kd

Clermont, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Honda Civic Si, 1994 Stealth R/T TT, 2009 CBR1000RR, 2016 Pilot Touring AWD
Body Style
Sedan
Ok, so I'm not sure I found the right place for this question; but this seemed like the best fit (I didn't find much searching either).

I am having an issue with my factory bluetooth setup when using Waze and I'm not sure if it is the car, the phone, or the app. My guess is that it is something with the App and/or phone as the only thing that hasn't changed is the car.

Anyhow, when driving, I connect my iPhone to the factory non-navi headunit via Bluetooth, using it for music and driving directions via Waze. A few days ago (so, over the weekend), I updated my Phone to iOS 13.4.1 as it had prompted me. And, I think the Waze app also updated shortly there after (not 100% sure on this as I set it up to do automatically); it is version 4.62.1.2 (says it was released 6 days ago).

Prior to these updates, when I would get into my car and turn it on, I would start Waze to setup for driving, the phone would connect to the car and the initial audio would be via the "In Call" connection of the headunit. It was annoying but just that initial driving prompt (or two) was all that would come through the "In Call" connection. Everything else after would be via the Bluetooth Audio (BTA) connection and all was fine, the prompts would pass over the music with minimal interruption. However, after the updates this weekend, everything from Waze now comes through the "In Call" connection. So, it goes something like this, as I'm driving, listening to music, my music will stop/cutout for a second, the radio will switch from BTA to In Call, the voice will come through piercingly loud (sometimes you can hear my music source playing like background music to the voice prompt), after the voice prompt finishes, I'll get the loud Beeps (hangup chime), and then another second of silence while my radio switches back to BTA, and then I'm back to normal. Every time there is a prompt now, this happens.

So, my only question is, how do I force the driving prompts from Waze to share over the BTA connection like it did before the updates? I've gone through the settings but cannot seem to find anything in the App or in the phone to control this. Shifting to the "In Call" connection every time I get a prompt is extremely annoying, especially the two loud beeps when it "hangs up." Has anyone else experienced this and fix it? If so, how?

:wave: I don't know the answer to your question but haven't seen you post in a while. Hope you are doing well. :thumbsup:

I've been lurking here and there, mostly keeping up with subscribed threads and that is about it. Overall, I'm doing well, I just haven't had much time to post and don't have a lot of issues with my Civic, other than this problem and not being able to get the factory remote start system to work, that is about it.

Thank you for asking though, I'm not one that usually gets noticed even though I'm the naked guy in the room. :rotfl:

Last edited:
I had to go to the office this morning so I ran a little test. On my drive in, I had both the Waze and Google Maps apps running; Waze, as before, would shift to the In Call connection for driving prompts, where Google Maps would seemlessly play driving prompts over the BTA connection (like Waze used to). So, in my uneducated opinion, I think the issue is with Waze and or compatibility between Waze and Apple iOS 13.4.1. Any Waze/iOS experts here?

So, I solved my issue.

As I tried various things to try and resolve the problem, I started having additional stability issues with the Waze app. For example, it would randomly stop giving driving prompts and would crash unexpectedly. So, I went on a hunch that Waze was the complete problem. To fix the error, I deleted the app and reinstalled it, now it seems to be working as it did before, providing driving directions over the BTA connection vice shifting to In Call; much better and all is right with the world again. :D

Back