2012 Civic Idle Issues With Takeda Intake

davefootball123

Hello I purchased a AFE Takeda intake for my 2012 Civic back in April. I installed it back then and noticed a little bit of an issue when idling. The revs would be normal and about every 30 seconds or so the revs would drop to about 500 or 600rpm and cause a slight rumble in the seat. Also on a cold start the idle will fluctuate + or - 100rpm from the 1300rpm cold idle. I checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, installed new plugs and such over the course of the summer. I noticed that with the weather getting colder, the issue was getting a little bit worse so I took the intake off and installed the stock airbox and all the issues went away. I recently just installed the AFE intake again and the issue persists. I've tried Honda's idle relearn procedure, however I am unsure if it worked correctly or not. I've seen quite a few methods for doing this and am unsure as to which one is correct. Once the car is warm and you listen to the car idle, you can hear the times that the idle drops and its sounds like the ECU is not compensating properly for the intake and that the idle is stuttering or hunting. I'm not sure if its the ECU having issues with the new intake given the 150,000km on the vehicle or my cold environment needing a tune or something along those lines. I have the coupling well secured to the throttle body all the way to the base and then secured to the intake box just before the rubber grommet. Are there any specific torque specs or recommendations for installing this intake to ensure no vacuum leaks? Driving performance is fine. I notice the increased power across virtually the entire powerband. Would like to get this issue solved.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Idle

Did you disconnect the battery? If not, try disconnecting the negative terminal, let the car sit for a few minutes, reconnect, start the car, and let it idle for a few minutes. There is sometimes an ECU reset that will help the car "relearn" it's idle speed with the new intake and may improve your hesitation issue.

It's worth a try since it's free and will only take a few minutes. If it's still bad, take the intake off, go back to stock and see if the problem persists. Then you will know if its the intake or your buddy's poke job.

Hondata and a proper tune will also definitely not only clear up any issues but get you the results you want from your new parts.

Appreciate the response! For reference, this is a Civic R18 and the takeda intake uses the stock bottom end of the airbox. Will continue trying things tomorrow. Do you have any recommendations on checking for vacuum leaks? I hear throttle body cleaner works well as a method for testing.

Flashpro and ktuner tuning options are available for the r18 as well. Users here have said it makes a big difference when adding aftermarket parts.

@Nix
@Pauly99to17
Or other r18 owners may be able to chime in on their intakes on the r18

Hey there,

I have an R18 and I had a couple issues with an intake as well. I tried all the idle relearn stuff at first and that improved things but the car certainly ran worse than the OEM air box and the idle flux was prevalent. I did like the extra noise at first but the hesitation and the rpm drop at idle was a bit annoying. I eventually bought flash pro and the difference was startling. I was honestly surprised at what a difference it made on this engine and even with just an intake. It really fixed all the idle issues and hesitation. Power is noticeably different especially over 3500rpm.

I am only running a base map at the moment, out of laziness more than anything, but I would definitely suggest investing in either Hondata flash pro or K-tuner.

I believe @Twitch was running K-tuner on his R18.

I have the Takeda intake and TBS too. I'm in Canada so drive in Colder weather too.

I haven't had any issues at all. Did you notch out the the TBS?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

I reused my dc sports intake from my 8th gen with the r18 and ive had no such issue. The intake is my only performance upgrade however. I live in colorado springs and even with the elevation and switch from cold to hot in the fall and spring things have been fine. Dunno that it will help.

P.s. My intake is a short ram and does not reuse the factory intake piping.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response everyone. I don't have a TBS installed. Would you recommend one? I've also been looking into getting a tune. Have been talking with a local shop and they seem to think the same thing if no vacuum leaks.

Back