DIY 2012 Civic ProClip Install DIY

you're at the mercy of your phone having service. There are a number of states I've been on road trips without any cell service.

Not with Navigon, the maps are "on board." That's why I got it, I travel to the US and can't be using that kind of data down there, I believe the TomTom app has on board maps as well, maybe more, Garmin has one as well.

learned something today... I didn't know the gps apps could work without cell service. Google maps and whatnot will not work in dead areas

Don't have a smart phone that you can buy a GPS app for? I wouldn't spend the money on a stand alone anymore, the smartphone apps are as good if not better, I use Navigon on the iPhone.

Nope, no smartphone. Can't get my head around the $360/year for the data plan. Other things I'd rather spend that money on.

Never knew that about GPS apps for iPhone. I hate when signal slows to a crawl or I have to get rerouted and there is a long delay. I think I may get this mount and get an actual GPS to keep in the car.

If you get the right app for your phone, a GPS app with ON BOARD maps like Navigon you don't need a cell signal for it to work. Don't waste your money on a stand alone GPS that can't do near as much as the smartphone apps.

Never knew that about GPS apps for iPhone. I hate when signal slows to a crawl or I have to get rerouted and there is a long delay. I think I may get this mount and get an actual GPS to keep in the car.

i bought a black iPod wire off eBay and have the wire hidden. It comes out of the arm rest and goes into the hand break opening, then I simply fed the wire under the plastic footwell. The only piece you need to take off is the front console cover. 2 screws to take off and then you pop it out. Finally I used 3M tape to keep the wire tucked in the corner seem and it runs up and under my home-made ProClip.

usb4.JPG

usb 2.jpg

usb5.JPG

Here's how to take off the console cover if you're interested to do this....
Start watching at 35 seconds and watch up to 1 minute 04 seconds

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpwWiwdku3w&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
the one i have is adjustable so I can make it as tight or loose as I want. It's the iPhone with case model, if you get a non case holder it's not adjustable but is coated with a "fuzzy" substance that holds the phone snug but makes it easy to slide out.

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks awesome.

I was looking at a similar proclip holder for a Galaxy Nexus (android) and was wondering that too.
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...ble-holder-with-tilt-swivel-875214-18852.cmsv

So, you can just pop the phone in and out each time you drive and it doesn't lose grip over time or move around too much? Easy to get in and out? I'd rather not get the phone specific one b/c i DO use a case and also i'll probably switch phones every so often.

I had a similar product for an old sirius radio install I did (not in a civic) and it got loose over time and moved around a lot.

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks awesome.

I was looking at a similar proclip holder for a Galaxy Nexus (android) and was wondering that too.
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...ble-holder-with-tilt-swivel-875214-18852.cmsv

So, you can just pop the phone in and out each time you drive and it doesn't lose grip over time or move around too much? Easy to get in and out? I'd rather not get the phone specific one b/c i DO use a case and also i'll probably switch phones every so often.

I had a similar product for an old sirius radio install I did (not in a civic) and it got loose over time and moved around a lot.

No it doesn't wear at all, been using them for years, 3 or 4 different phones, 3 or 4 different cars, love them.

Back