2013 Civic won't start....sometimes.

dabflyboy

Hey all. I have a 2013 Civic LX with roughly 350,000 miles. Lately, it's been having intermittent starting issues. Dash lights come on like they are supposed to, accessories work, fuel pump engages, but the engine will not even attempt to turn over. No sound from starter. Just nothing. Most times, it'll crank right up on the second attempt as if nothing ever happened. Other times I just sit there and keep trying until it fires up. Here's also a weird thing...my wife and I have both noticed it helps if you turn the steering wheel. Any ideas?

If the starter isn’t doing anything on the multiple attempts then I would guess it might be the starter or the starter isn’t getting power/signal to engage the flywheel.

I had the battery and alternator checked by Advance Auto. Also, cleaned terminals and cables to be sure. All good there. What's the best way to check the starter? Can it be done in place, or does it have to be pulled and bench tested?

I had the battery and alternator checked by Advance Auto. Also, cleaned terminals and cables to be sure. All good there. What's the best way to check the starter? Can it be done in place, or does it have to be pulled and bench tested?
not sure where it is on that engine but if you can get to the starter you can jump the wire to the battery and see if it doesnt engage first try like its doing with the key.

Back