2014 Civic 1.7 liter Engine and Automatic transmission breakins

justdano

I have 500 miles driving in winter letting the engine run for 2 to 3 min before driving. I have used 1/2 qt of oil during the first 500.

Questions so far:

1. Is burning 1/2 oil in first 500 miles typical? If so how much should I expect to burn till its broken in?

2. I would prefer to change oil before it technically due. That said, how far short of 90% would you suggest? Color is still brand new.

3. Transmission seal seating question. Other than warming for 2 to 3 minutes before light driving and when getting on Interstates with traffic, I push it to 80 to 90% of full acceleration to get on. twice a day for 5 days per week and cruise at 65 mph. Any suggestions on seating of gaskets other than what I'm doing now?

4. Using the economode during breakin. Suggestions? Use or don't use or only when cruising at steady speed?

5. Anything I may have missed?

Thanks for any help. Dan

All I can say is, mine didn't use any from the time I got it(NEW). Most new cars don't use any, there could be a reason for a low line when you 1st checked it, like they didn't put enough in it when they gave it to you, or you're reading it wrong, or you're not waiting 5 min. after engine shut off to look at it.
As far as cold starts, you shouldn't wait any longer that 30 sec. before rolling, take it easy for the 1st few min. while rolling. Do not push for econ until warm(couple min.).
There shouldn't be anything you need to do for the tranny seals, drive as normal......... Is it showing leaks?
Between engine and tranny, if you're showing leaks, I'd take it to the dealer, something is way wrong.
Driving with icon on or off shouldn't matter, as said I'd wait till warm before engaging.
If you want to change the oil early, any time at this point would be a good time, change the filter as well.
Newer cars don't throw bits of metal as bad as they use to. They don't need braking either(even though I usually take it easy the 1st 500 to 1000 miles anyway).
I'm old school as well, but there's been some changes from when we started.
Better machined engine parts, lighter wt. oils, like 0x30(0 comes into play only at start up, 30 is what it runs on after warm up).

What was said here ^ except I would wait on the oil change. Honda uses grease which contains high moly content for engine assembly (which will actually help your car). Leave the original oil in the car & follow the maintenece on the iMID screen.

What was said here ^ except I would wait on the oil change. Honda uses grease which contains high moly content for engine assembly (which will actually help your car). Leave the original oil in the car & follow the maintenece on the iMID screen.
He's absolutely right, I forgot about Honda's original oil......... Which by the way I left in mine for 5000 miles.

I have not seen any oil drops in the garage floor and smell no oil when engine runs so maybe they didn't put enough in at the start. Living in the very cold north, I do tend to let the engine run longer for my personal convenience of heat for me. Then normal driving (more than just a mile or two) would remove any carbon build up from the excessive idling. Am I wrong on this point?

In decades past I have always changed the oil after 500 miles then 1500 due to metal chips of older cars. I will do my best to hold off on the first oil change. I also got winter floor mats that are designed to hold snow and ice from your shoes/boot to keep the carpet from getting trashed in its first winter (Weather Tech I believe). It is nice that the car came with mud/snow flaps/guards. I do wish it came with a protective strip of material to keep door dinges down to a minimum.

Next car washing and rust prevention. I remember the first Honda's that were rusted on the dealers lots. Much of that has changed for the better. The dealer tried to sell me on a rust proofing deal. My understanding is that mfg have been coating all metal body panels (inside and out) for rust prevention for many year now. Is this not true or changed?

Thanks you for your ongoing help. My last car (new) was 1993 Honda Accord which has served me well and I want my civic to do the same.

Back