2014 civic ELX-w Nav timing chain cover leak cause?

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys, so when I did my oil change the second time (14,050 miles) I noticed there was little oil leak. I wondered if I tightened everything right my last oil change before that (7,000 miles - maintenance minder comes up around 6,800 miles).

So this time, I'm at 15% on my imid. I have 20,880 miles. I was going to do my oil change at 21,000 miles (120 miles form now - about 5 days or less), but before I did, i wanted to check to see if I still saw a leak. Well, I did.

IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

So, having the day off I went to Honda and had them check it out since i'm still under warranty. After about 15 minutes they found where the leak was coming from. They said it was the Timing Chain Cover. So i scheduled a day to replace it.

I have three questions for you guys. I have searched and found that this can be a little common in these models.

1-Do you think me using Mobil1 0w-20 for oil and Mobil1 oil filter might have caused this? I change my oil when the maintenance minder tells me (i wait until its a round number, usually 150 miles later from 15%).
2-Has anyone had this done? and if so, was everything ok after this?
3-When Honda changes the timing chain cover, does that require them to drain the oil? Because since my appointment is this Thursday (which should bring me to closer to 21,000 miles, I wanted to do my oil change then. I don't care if they do an oil change, I will simply re-do the oil change again with my choice of oil/filter.

Thanks

Your oil choice didn't cause it. It just didn't get a good seal during assembly. Do the oil change after getting back from the dealer if you don't want them doing it. You could just provide them with the filter and oil you want to use though. They'd just charge you a small labor fee for the work and you'd be done. Your choice.

Ask them what the cost of the oil change is and it it has to be done with the service. If its minimal, like $20, I would let them do it especially if its something that has to be done at the time they do the other work. Just in case there is an issue and it doesn't seal properly and you have to go back, they would most likely be on the hook for another round of oil. If it comes back fine then I would swap to the stuff you want to use. Count on them screwing it up that way you don't waste your Mobil1 on having them drain and refill it the second time. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Also with them in there doing work, anything they knock loose will end up in that new oil. I would drive around a little on the "new" stuff and let things get caught in it and then drain it anyway. Sort of like break in oil if that makes sense.

Back