2014 Civic Rear Main Leak: UPDATE 1

CookNice

So I recently purchased a used 2014 Honda Civic EX. I brought it to my machanic for an oil change, during the inspection they said it looks like I have a rear main leak. Since it has only 33,000 miles on it they felt I should take it back to the dealership and they should be responsible for fixing it under warranty. When I went to the dealer they said it isn't a leak, just road dirt. What are your thoughts, should this be covered under the Powertrain Warranty? Does this look like a major issue?

Update #1:
1/4/17- After going back and forth to the dealership I purchased the car and a different Honda dealership, they added dye to trace the leak. I got a call back from Honda, my service rep. said after calling the Tech Line and they decided that they need to put in a need transmission. I scheduled an appointment for next week. The only issue I have so far is that I only have one car and they said this is an all day job, I'm fine with that, so I asked the service rep. if I would be provided with a loaner car. He stated that Honda doesn't do loaner cars anymore and they have a deal worked out with the local car rental agency. I let him know I didn't feel that helped at all since I was getting warranty work done, to then have out of pocket cost for the repair. He stated its a new policy Honda incorporated at all its dealerships....

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5915.jpg
    IMG_5915.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5916.jpg
    IMG_5916.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Doesn't look to be "just road dirt" to me. Since you have documented photos, and you have a documented trip to honda, clean that area off. Clean it off and take pictures. Document the mileage you're at when it's clean, and drive around. You should see that you'll end up with another mess. If you don't want to deal with that, go to another dealership. Or, return to the same one and tell them another mechanic told you it's a leak. Ask to speak to a manager.

Thanks webby, I just recently purchased the car from a non-Honda dealership (Hyundai) if I try another Honda dealer and I get the same runaround do you feel this will turn into a big enough issue just to return the car ?

Returning a car is next to impossible unless the dealership has some type of return policy. I know some random places give you a week to change your mind. Beyond that, no.

Many dealerships have a return period, although they are typically very short (24 hours). I had to return a used Mini right before I bought my Si because it had been in an accident and they had failed to disclose that information when I bought it even though I asked specifically.
The issue I see is that your warranty is probably going to run out soon, as is the factory warranty from Honda. If the dealership that sold you the car told you there were no leaks but there is one, then they need to fix that leak such that the car is in the condition they say they sold it to you in (no leaks). That is definitely a leak - someone was giving you the runaround by telling you otherwise. If you clean it up, it may take several thousand miles for that leak to look that bad again. How long/many miles ago did you buy it? I don't think you'll be able to sue returning the car as a trump card, but making sure the product they sold you was received as advertised is very much in their best interests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hi guys
Since he just bought the car and that appears to be a leak, is the lemon law still applied for a used car?

Hi guys
Since he just bought the car and that appears to be a leak, is the lemon law still applied for a used car?
That deals with having a repair done 3 times without fixing the problem.

Hi guys
Lemon law wouldn't be in effect unless they failed to fix the leak 3x over when they said they did. I see it like a refurbished computer; you buy the computer but when you get it home the GPU is inoperable, so you take it back and say, "Here is the computer I bought, you said it was in perfect working order when I bought it, but it's not." Then they can either fix it so that it is in the condition they said it was in when you bought it, or they can take it back and give you a full refund. I don't really see any other options unless you have a lawyer friend who will do pro-bono work for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back