2014 Civic Si Non-Navi Model - Add Factory OEM XM Project

I just saw the short comment in which the OP claimed he wanted XM and alleged the sales person lied to him when he bought the car, alleging it had XM. If that were true, then he would have recourse against the dealer for misrepresentation. Instead he keeps the car and now tries to add XM himself. I wonder why he didn't know this when he bought the car? The brochure was readily available on the Honda website to read and understand what each model offered. When he inspected and test drove the car, it would be blatantly obvious that the car did not have the XM antenna on the roof (as all cars with XM have the antenna on the roof). If he wanted XM at the time of purchase, why didn't he ask the salesman to show him every feature, including XM? Then he would have known the vehicle did not have XM when the salesman could not show him a feature the car didn't have. I have a hard time believing he was lied to by the salesman, when he could go back to the dealer to file a complaint for misrepresentation if the salesperson told him it had XM. What he needs to do is make a custom 14-pin cable and plug in the XM tuner. Since his diagnostic screen had an icon for XM, the non-navi DisplayAudio unit might be XM-ready.

So what's the point of your post? Were you there with me when I bought the vehicle? Do you know how much time I spent at the dealership doing research? Do you know what questions I asked and didn't ask? I didn't feel the story of what the salesman lied to me about was something was really needed to get into for a car enthusiast forum. The point wasn't a story about how I was lied to but trying to find a way to add XM to the car that didn't come with it. I could have walked out of the deal when I asked the salesman for a unit that had the XM (hence I knew the car didn't have a XM antenna or XM in the vehicle) and I knew I could have ordered the car on the internet with XM and Navigation and had it delivered, but I decided not to. The salesman stated that I could just add the SirusXM aftermarket unit to the car (the lie) and he has seen it done. So I should by your suggestion said hold up I have to run to an electronics store and check to make sure that the connecters match up and I can install it in the car? I took his word it could be done and moved on to other things that I wanted done to the car before I purchased it.

A few weeks later I went to the store and shopped for XM units and found that the only way I was going to get it would be to change out the radio, use it through my phone, or something else. I chose the something else and it has not worked out as I had first intended it to. I am not saying that what I have done cannot be accomplished I just don't have the time to throw at it right now and hope that some of my documentation will help someone else if they wish to attempt it. As to your comment about you can just make a 14 pin cable and be done with it. Where do I plug that 14 pin cable into the Head Unit? Why is there not one on the market now? Why has no one else with more electronics 'know-how' then me come up with an alternative to the equation?

I made the decision not to order the car and I am ok with that, but I still want XM in my car. I can wait till enough of them have been totaled and buy the Navigation HU from one of them off ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the point of your post? Were you there with me when I bought the vehicle? Do you know how much time I spent at the dealership doing research? Do you know what questions I asked and didn't ask? I didn't feel the story of what the salesman lied to me about was something was really needed to get into for a car enthusiast forum. The point wasn't a story about how I was lied to but trying to find a way to add XM to the car that didn't come with it. I could have walked out of the deal when I asked the salesman for a unit that had the XM (hence I knew the car didn't have a XM antenna or XM in the vehicle) and I knew I could have ordered the car on the internet with XM and Navigation and had it delivered, but I decided not to. The salesman stated that I could just add the SirusXM aftermarket unit to the car (the lie) and he has seen it done. So I should by your suggestion said hold up I have to run to an electronics store and check to make sure that the connecters match up and I can install it in the car? I took his word it could be done and moved on to other things that I wanted done to the car before I purchased it.

A few weeks later I went to the store and shopped for XM units and found that the only way I was going to get it would be to change out the radio, use it through my phone, or something else. I chose the something else and it has not worked out as I had first intended it to. I am not saying that what I have done cannot be accomplished I just don't have the time to throw at it right now and hope that some of my documentation will help someone else if they wish to attempt it. As to your comment about you can just make a 14 pin cable and be done with it. Where do I plug that 14 pin cable into the Head Unit? Why is there not one on the market now? Why has no one else with more electronics 'know-how' then me come up with an alternative to the equation?

I made the decision not to order the car and I am ok with that, but I still want XM in my car. I can wait till enough of them have been totaled and buy the Navigation HU from one of them off ebay.

You have poor research skills, and your prior comments were incorrect. Read the brochure. Under accessories it does not list XM as a dealer-installed add-on. Go to any Honda parts/accessories site and you will also learn that Honda does not offer an accessory XM kit. If you claim you did all that research and asked many questions, you would know that answer. Honda used to offer an XM kit for older LX-only models, but not anymore. You inferred that the salesman lied to you about the car having XM. Your comment, "I bought the car and was lied to by the sales man and ended up with no XM Unit." You claimed you wanted a car with XM but you were lied to. Now you admit he told you an aftermarket XM radio could be added, and that is NOT a lie. People add aftermarket XM radios to their cars all the time, through an aux input converter. That is what the salesman told you...he said AFTERMARKET. Honda does not use an aftermarket XM tuner. They have an OEM-built, proprietary Pioneer XM tuner and vehicles with XM are wired for XM. All you had to do was buy an Aux Input Converter and a portable XM unit and install it in the car, which would achieve the same sound quality through Honda's stereo. You don't have the time, but you are trying to tackle this project by adding the OEM tuner? The aux input converter and portable radio is much quicker and easier.

There is a seller on eBay, acurahondatech, that specializes in Honda and Acura OEM Nav conversions, and he can make you the 14-pin connector cable that is required for you to plug in the OEM XM tuner to your head unit. All you have to do is message him on eBay and tell him what you need. Your vehicle does not have the wiring for XM, so you need to have a custom cable made. Why is there not one on the market? Because Honda will not allow you to do what you are doing on your own and there is not enough demand for such a cable. Honda would prefer you to buy the car with XM, not by adding the OEM components later on your own. Where do you plug it in??? You plug it into the 14-pin connector on the back of the head unit. Honda even makes a Y-connector for additional 14-pin auxiliary audio accessories. Or, you look at the other auxiliary devices in the car (the USB or Bluetooth unit) to see if it has an open 14-pin connector to use for the factory XM tuner. Buying a Navigation HU off eBay will not solve your problem because you still need the custom 14-pin cable made since your vehicle wasn't wired with it from the factory. Your photos indicate your current HU is XM ready because the diagnostic mode indicates XM. Follow a wiring diagram (they are on this site) for the 14-pin connector and the XM tuner, acquire the 14-pin harness connectors, pins, and make your own cable. Plug in the tuner and the antenna and you are set. I have done this before with an Accord by adding OEM navigation and an XM tuner for a friend who wanted it. He bought the entire OEM kit from acurahondatech on eBay and I helped him install it.

Instead of trying to claim the salesman lied to you, when he didn't, you should have left all that out and simply said, "I bought a new Civic without Nav/XM and I am going to do a DIY for adding the factory XM tuner". Don't slander someone when they did not lie to you. Although the salesman is right in one respect, you are better off ripping out that crappy DisplayAudio stereo and going all aftermarket. You will get a much better head unit, and far better sound. Much easier with that route.

Can we try to be more constructive and less negative going back and forth? It seems like a number of people are interested in making this happen. So if there are sources on ebay that will make the needed parts, then let's work on those things and less personal attacks. A lot of great info has been posted by users, so there is no reason to turn this thread downhill.

Back