AC component removal

Alberto521

Chicago, IL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
So my compressor crapped out couple months ago. I live in chicago and our summers last like 2 weeks so no need for A/C. Even with my employee discount at firestone its still like $700 to replace the compressor and recharge. (Normally is almost $2,000)

So just wondering. Has anyone removed all the A/C components off their 9th gen civic si?

What type of belt did you have to run?

Is there like a place holder dummy pulley?

Thanks!

Pic for attention:

Tags for google: ac , ac removal, 9thgen ac, compressor removal, weight deduction, becauseracecar

You'll also lose your window defroster if your rip the ac system out. It can be done. You just use a string to measure to get your new belt size. No dummy pulley. I know a couple of people have done it on dedicated race builds for the rsx and 8th gen si.

I'm just going to go ahead and guess your out of the warranty period?

Does your system still have refrigerant in it? If so you will need to have it recovered from the system, yes you can just use a screwdriver to discharge it into the atmosphere but that's not exactly safe or legal.

My defroster doesn't work very well actually, i lost my compressor towards the end on july 2015
autox season... i had it recgarged at my job and still no cold air, further diag thr compressor is not engaging. And yes no warranty, car is 2012 wih 55,xxx miles.

Will my defroster get worse just by taking it out? Or no different since its already not working?

My defroster doesn't work very well actually, i lost my compressor towards the end on july 2015
autox season... i had it recgarged at my job and still no cold air, further diag thr compressor is not engaging. And yes no warranty, car is 2012 wih 55,xxx miles.

Will my defroster get worse just by taking it out? Or no different since its already not working?
if the compressor is not engaging the defroster will not work any worse that it is currently if you remove the pump. Before you do that though if the compressor isn't engaging it would lead me to believe that there could potentially some sort of electrical issue causing it not to engage. you could probably test this with a car battery and some spare wire to the connector on the compressor. If the clutch engages when you apply a 12v power source directly to it you could have a short or otherwise damaged wire somewhere in the harness that is causing all of your issue.

All that said if you just want to rip it out cause racecar you will probably shave about 20-30 pounds from the car by removing the compressor, lines, and condenser. Also will probably free up some parasitic drag on the motor from freespinning the compressor.

Might be wise to check the fuses (under the hood) or test like flight mentioned above.

Thanks for the tips, im pretty sure the tech at my firestone did try putting power to it before telling me the clutch wasn't engaging. But ill double check with him.

Once i know the size and i go through with it ill post in here what belt i used.

It's also worth noting that the a/c compressor will not engage if there is insufficient refrigerant charge. For example, a gross leak. Or on the other hand, if it were overcharged the high pressure switch would shut the compressor off.

Back