Aftermarket shift knob is stuck

noahgh23

I put on an aftermarket shift knob a few years ago and ordered a new one as well as a new shift boot. When I went to replace the knob, I found that the current one is stuck. I have gotten almost rotation on it, but it will not go more than that. The old one came with a nut that I put on with the knob and after reading some other people’s problems on the forum, I’m realizing that it might be a locking nut that is preventing the knob from screwing off. I’m not sure if I somehow cross threaded both things, or if I just need to go to the gym. I have put lubricant on to try to loosen it up… no cigar. Any suggestions are helpful. I will add a photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Oh no. That sucks. Glad you got thru it but the carnage hurts.

It sounds like you’re dealing with a stubborn locking nut. I had a similar issue with a shift knob on my old car. What worked for me was heating the knob with a hairdryer—just enough to expand the metal a bit. I also used a wrench to grip the base of the knob while gently twisting it off. If you’re still stuck, it might be worth asking a mechanic for a quick look. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can spot something you missed.

Back