Blimpcity

Jezza
VIP Member
NEO
Vehicle Model
Civic Type R - FK8
Body Style
Sedan
I hit a curb yesterday causing the passenger side air-curtain to deploy. I have some questions that hopefully some forum members can answer.

First, I was completely surprised the airbag deployed. I can say that I did hit the curb pretty hard and damaged my front and rear wheels with deep scratches. I am also pretty certain that I knocked the front-end of the card out of alignment as my steering wheel is no longer centered (hoping I did not due more serious damage mechanically, but will have to wait for the dealer's assessment). Does anyone have any pointers on how to repair the wheels? I'd like to tackle the task myself, but am not against taking them to a professional if the cost is not prohibitive.

wheel_curb_damage.jpg

Second, I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the airbag warning that persistently goes off. There are two warnings that are displayed on the iMid and are accompanied by audible "ding" sounds. Hitting the "i" button on the steering wheel does not silence the warnings. I was unable to find anything helpful in the system menu. I was also unable to find anything online with information on how to shut this off.

check_airbag.jpg

side_airbag_off.jpg

Third, and the scariest question. Any idea what that cost for repairing the airbag might be? I'm assuming the airbag needs to be replaced, but did not look damaged after deployment, so perhaps not. However, there was damage to the ceiling lining which will have to be completely replaced.

interior_damage_01.jpg

interior_damage_02.jpg

interior_damage_03.jpg

As I get more information on my end, I'll post it in this thread for others.

wheel repair - for curb rash. If you have a bent rim, that's another whole scenario
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-repair-curb-rash-on-rims.4540/

I believe honda has to clear that warning. The manual states that if the warning comes on without them deploying, you must visit a dealer to have the system checked. Then it says if it has deployed, you need to see the dealership.

As for replacement - deployed bags have to be replaced along with the seat belt tensioners.

bag.png

===========

When airbags deploy with little or no visible damage
Because the airbag system senses sudden deceleration, a strong impact to the vehicle framework or suspension might cause one or more of the airbags to deploy. Examples include running into a curb, the edge of a hole, or other low fixed object that causes a sudden deceleration in the vehicle chassis. Since the impact is underneath the vehicle, damage may not be readily apparent."

=====

When the ignition switch is turned to ON II
The indicator comes on for a few seconds, then goes off. This tells you the system is working properly. If the indicator comes on at any other time, or does not come on at all, have the system checked by a dealer as soon as possible. If you don't, your airbags and seat belt tensioners may not work properly when they are needed. Ignoring the SRS indicator can result in serious injury or death if the airbag systems or tensioners do not work properly. Have your vehicle checked by a dealer as soon as possible if the SRS indicator alerts you to a possible problem.

=====

I'd take it to honda/a collision center to get it up on a lift to check it out. Either would be able to give you an idea on replacement/repair costs.

I take it everyone is ok since you didn't mention anyone getting hurt?

No injuries. I was the only one in the car thankfully. Damn curb jumped out on me... To be honest, I've almost hit the curb at that spot countless times due to the way the road is set up there.

Thanks for the information Webby! I'll be sure to post my experience regarding the repair process and costs as things develop.

I did not file a police report. I suppose I should contact my insurance agent to get his opinion. All pretty recent. On a side note, I did just take the car down to my local Best Buy and it seems to be driving fine...short of a slight pull to the left. No vibrations or anything odd while driving near 70 MPH on the freeway so hopefully that's a good sign.

Why wouldn't you be contacting your insurance? An airbag fix will likely be thousands. Not including the headliner, wheels, etc.

Why wouldn't you be contacting your insurance? An airbag fix will likely be thousands. Not including the headliner, wheels, etc.
Some people avoid insurance claims to avoid price hikes or being dropped off insurance all together. I agree though, most of the time it's around a thousand dollars or more to get an airbag replaced by itself.

As I have never experienced this, I don't know what the costs are. That's part of the reason for this thread. I will contact my insurance agent to talk about options when I get more information from Honda. Since there is no avoiding the inevitable, I will be finding out what I will be spending to correct my error...

Be warned....once you alert the insurance company that there was an incident, there is no turning back. If you take it to a shop first, you could get a quote without alerting insurance to check your options.

Of course, full-disclosure is moot at this point. My posting on this forum has made the incident public. Also, once the car is repaired by the dealer, the service history including the airbag deployment will be available information...ie Carfax. I'm not looking to shift the costs of my error to others, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I cost myself before actually finding out.

Last edited:
Of course, full-disclosure is moot at this point. My posting on this forum has made the incident public. Also, once the car is repaired by the dealer, the service history including the airbag deployment will be available information...ie Carfax. I'm not looking to shift the costs of my error on others, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I cost myself before actually finding out.
If you pay for the repairs out of pocket (instead of going through insurance), there are tons of collision centers that will not report the incident to carfax. It's one of the biggest complaints on carfax. Tons of cars have been in accidents that show clean on carfax. Just saying

If you pay for the repairs out of pocket (instead of going through insurance), there are tons of collision centers that will not report the incident to carfax. It's one of the biggest complaints on carfax. Tons of cars have been in accidents that show clean on carfax. Just saying

I have no idea what the criteria is for Carfax. I used to believe in it until I checked a car we had that was in a collision with a deer three years prior. The claim went through insurance and never showed in Carfax.

I have no idea what the criteria is for Carfax. I used to believe in it until I checked a car we had that was in a collision with a deer three years prior. The claim went through insurance and never showed in Carfax.

CARFAX buys info from insurance companies and other sources. Some insurance companies have a non-disclosure agreement, where they will not disclose information about your car and its accidents. Other dealers and repair shops sell that information to Carfax.

If the place doesn't sell your info, it won't show up on the report.

CARFAX buys info from insurance companies and other sources. Some insurance companies have a non-disclosure agreement, where they will not disclose information about your car and its accidents. Other dealers and repair shops sell that information to Carfax.

If the place doesn't sell your info, it won't show up on the report.

Wow. I did not know that. I just learned something. Thanks Webby!

Update:

First: My dealer is awesome. They gave me a courtesy car at no cost to me for the duration of the work. This seems to be standard operating procedure for them and further encourages my continued business.

Second: No structural damage. According to dealer, the suspension looks fine.

Third: silver04v is correct, airbag repairs are expensive. So far the total estimate to replace the airbag and related system components, as well as the head liner is just over $2K. Keep in mind this is a Honda Civic, so a single side curtain air bag deployment repair cost falls in generally around 10% of the vehicle purchase price.

This was an unfortunate error on my part that did not cause any external damage (only marring of the wheels). I cannot imagine what body repairs or other accident related damage involving airbag deployment would cost.

At this point, the dealer will most likely complete the repairs by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. So, I get to enjoy the world of the 2010 Accord LX for another 4 or 5 days.

Good news that there is nothing structural. Still pricey. I'm guessing a car that has the majority of the air bags go off is close to a write off these day.

Got the car back yesterday. A little over a week without it was really starting to wear on me. They replaced the passenger side wheels as well. However, they would not let me keep the damaged rims...said there was a core charge that allowed the replacements to be provided at a discounted rate. Sounds a little shady to me, but I suppose I should not complain. I did read online that American Honda instituted a core charge for wheels, but the reasoning seems disingenuous. Anyway, I was inspired by the return of the car, so drove up to my local Summit Racing retail store and bought myself a K&N CAI. Installed it in a couple hours and it really improves the sound.

Back