DIY Alleviating Exhaust Drone in Cabin (Cheap Fix!)

Daniel Bivona

Pompton Plains, NJ
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
Hey there, I had installed my Buddy Club Spec II Axle Back last week. Sounds really great with exception to some pretty intense droning in the cabin when engine braking (down shifting). Not sure if anyone else on here has any issues with droning from their exhaust, but it creates a bad headache and is ear piercing at times.

My solution helped out a lot to at least take down the droning to an acceptable level. I don't have any audio of before and after, but figured I would tell you what I did in case anyone wants to help alleviate drone.

I had purchased Design Engineering's Boom Mat Spray (2 cans). The application of this rubberized sound proofing spray should be applied to the truck well where your spare tire sits. You will notice that upon removing the spare, there is a significant area of exposed metal. When your exhaust drones, this spare tire chamber acts as a loud speaker and creates significant reverberation. I applied 2 cans to the entire area and it has reduced the droning into the cabin by a decent amount. I realize this is just an anecdote at the end of the day, but it was a cheap fix for helping reduce the drone that took only 30 minutes. Here is the link to the product:
Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001URKV0G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 12.55.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 12.55.00 PM.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 18
I know others have done the same thing with dynamat in the spare tire are. Your solution would be much cheaper.

I know others have done the same thing with dynamat in the spare tire are. Your solution would be much cheaper.
Interesting, I am actually placing sound proof foam in a few surrounding areas of the truck as well to absorb excess drone. I know Dynamat can be expensive.

Back