Alternator needs to be replaced

Trae_St@rk

Corpus Christi ,Texas
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
I have a 2012 civic Si and I recently had my battery die on me 3 times in this past month. Come to find out I need a new alternator. Has anyone replaced their own alternator on the 2012 civic Si without taking it to a shop or the dealership?

I haven't seen anyone mention doing it themselves. Are you out of warranty?

Have you added any electronics or have done any changes to your electric system?

the only thing I added was new hid's because my other set went out. but other than that nothing everything is stock on my car.

Having a 2012 as well, I'm just wondering what might have caused your problem as I'd think this is not a normal failure, and that doing our own work on our electrics seem to be the common cause of our problems. As @webby said in a post, to disconnect the negative batt pole before attempting to work on electric mods.
I'd want to be sure all your work is checked for proper installation before replacing you car with a new alternator.

What is the amp output on these alternators? Anyone know (haven't bothered to look it up myself)? My guess is adding extra loads to the car is maxing out the alternator and making it work harder thus shortening it's life. Your headlights will dim at night if you hold up on your window motor with it closed. If that alone can draw enough amperage to dim the lights imagine having that load and then some constantly working the alternator. Could also just be a fluke and it died for whatever random reason. As far as replacing I have not looked into it on this car but can't see it being to difficult.

Back