Auto detailing questions

Jordan Coronado

I took my civic to a body shop last summer and they did a very good job, looked new and took out the scratches. Now i'm wondering if I can take my car to a auto detailing and buff it out, will they do a good job? do they differ in the process of buffing?

The bodyshop charged me 250 I believe. and this auto detailing shop does it for 70 and it includes buffing, compound, polish and the wash. any recommendation?

I have a black civic 2013

I would be leary to go to that "cheap" detailer. I haven't seen any detail shops/people around my town drop below $150 for those services.

Agreed. Detail work is time consuming. A guy charging that low is going to blow through cars as fast as he can to turn a profit. Might not use the best technique, just the fastest. $250 is still a good deal for a place to do any sort of paint correction (polish/buff). If you were happy with their work originally I would go back to them again. Once your paint is ruined, it's hard to fix it.

@Nix said it best. My uncle is a professional detailer and always wants to see the car to judge what is needed for correction before giving a price. I would be worried that the $70 detailer is taking a one size fits all approach.

Some detailers charge in excess of $100/hr to do paint correction/buffing on cars, so I'd agree with everything said above. Quality products aren't cheap, and if they do damage the paint, it's not an easy fix.

Pictures would be best. The car also matters too. A civic is a detailers dream and a Jeep Wrangler is a nightmare. The deepness of the scratches are what needs to be paid attention to the most. A detailers toolkit is like a variety of sandpaper, what grit will take the scratches out in the shortest amount of time.?

Back