Boat engine Rotation and Car Use

Sinub

Southern California
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Ok so this is kind of car related. I'am looking to build a 351w engine and I wouldn't be surprised if most of you won't be able to answer my questions since its way different to what most people know (this being a Honda forum) but it won't hurt to ask so here it goes.

So the engine I was looking to buy for $300 which I think is a really good price for this engine especially since its rare, seems to be out of a boat. It has a marine distributor and with a little research it seems Ford use to make boat engines between the 70's and 90's. What I also learned is some boats have reverse rotation although I haven't been able to find out if this engine does and I can't seem to find the code on it to look up what year and other info on it. My questions are, what would one need to do to make it spin normally? I've also done research on this but it seems like its mainly the cams needing changing and the distributor programmed to fire in a different order which I would think why not just buy a distributor for a normal 351w right?

I'm only going to use the block so the cams I'm not worried about but what I am is if the heads for a regular 351w will work on it and buying a regular distributor will too(people seem to complain its a lot of work though I can't to seem why) if anyone can at least help me find a forum or link for some answers that would be great!! I'm still currently looking for more info but help never hurts lol anyways here's a thanks for those who help and some pictures of the engine.

BTW I'm planning to put the finished product into a 1974 Mustang

IMAG0212.jpgIMAG0219.jpgIMAG0213.jpgIMAG0214.jpgIMAG0216.jpgIMAG0218.jpg

Last edited:
Back