Brake Service

JeffO

I have a 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan. I do my own brake service regularly. Is there anything I need to do to the wheel speed sensors? Or is it best to leave them alone? How do I lubricate my parking brake cable?

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

As far as brake work goes, I'm at about 85,000 and have not done a thing to my wheel speed sensors or parking cable. My car lived in the North East the last 5 years and ate a steady diet of salty winters with no brake issues. I've changed pads, rotors, fluid, and rear shoes on the drums without touching anything else. My car is an 8th gen but I think the brake systems are still very very similar. I've never lubed the parking brake cable, but I also haven't had an issue with it either.

Are you needing service already on your 2012? You must drive a ton. The stock front pads are generally good to about 50k I think. I swapped mine at 40 cause the rotors were "warped' from the previous owner. Changing brakes on these cars is a breeze. The only real trouble you might have is with the rotor "set" screw. There is usually one but sometimes 2 screws in the front rotor to hold it onto the hub during assembly. If you ever take the rotors off to change them don't bother putting the screws back in. They are unnecessary. Also, huge pain to remove. I ended up buying a $5 impact screwdriver from Harbor Freight. It survived the job.

Hi
Thanks for the info. I service my brakes annually in the spring when I take the snow tires off (twice so far). I disassemble everything and keep it all dirt and rust free to avoid rusted drums and rotor set screws etc. I am only at 30,000 km...so all is still good. I just have never had a car with anti-lock brakes and didn't know if more things were required on a regular brake service.

I don't have wheel sensors, but I have never touched the parking brake cable. My stock front pads lasted about 15k miles and my rotors about 100k. Non-OEM ceramic pads last me about 50k miles and slotted rotors have about 60k on them.

Back