Break in period.

eric.schwartz.

Okay everyone so I've heard of tunnels controversy regarding the new engines and breaking.. But 2014 Civic Si was bought last Friday is there an actual break in. Or is it all hype? I've been obviously baby the hell out of it and I continue to do so but the dealership says it says no break in period for the engine bay k24z7 engine. Is it true? Thank you for any comments thank you

Any new engine needs to be broken in. he normal break in period is around 400 miles.

Any new engine needs to be broken in. he normal break in period is around 400 miles.
OK thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I've been easily shifting at 3-4,000 rpm and that's it. Not even coming close to 5,300 rpm/VTEC or redline. Lol. I've got about 500 mikes on my engine. I drive 39 miles each way to work.

Drive it up to redline at least a few times. You'll want to seat the rings

He's already at 500 miles. Time to start driving it how it was designed to be driven!
Haha yeah and I feel so bad about it too, but I Drive a lot for work I have to so the Civic Si will be getting mileage on it that is for sure. I guess I'll start revving it sooner than later maybe baby it a little bit more so though

yea at this point you should bring the engine through its entire rev range around once a day to seat the rings properly. if you strictly baby it for the first 10k and then suddenly start redlining it, there could possibly be some damage done

yea at this point you should bring the engine through its entire rev range around once a day to seat the rings properly. if you strictly baby it for the first 10k and then suddenly start redlining it, there could possibly be some damage done
Thanks I answered in realize that part about if I strictly baby then insulin start revien hard after the first 1000 miles or so hypothetically I could do damage I always thought that was good or so... Yeah like I said, I've got at least 500 miles on the engine so it is she just has to bring it to the range once a day then I guess that's what I'll start doing[emoji39]

:driving: I don't understand how you've resisted not hitting vtech for this long. Seat those badboys!
I've done that a safety for the brand new engine. It has not been easy but I'm trying to be mature about it lol I've never had a brand new car before so I'm trying to get a precautionary measures possible if you know what I mean

yeah this one was mine too. I'm pretty sure I chirped the tires out of the dealership. :) I'm about at about 16000 miles and it still drives like a champ. It's an awesome car, you'll enjoy the hell out it. Real fun to drive!

When running in a new engine......... One thing to remember when doing high rev's........... Let off the throttle "SLOWLY"..... Don't just lift your foot........

When running in a new engine......... One thing to remember when doing high rev's........... Let off the throttle "SLOWLY"..... Don't just lift your foot........

**Has to do with keeping the fuel burn "even" in the firing area**

yeah this one was mine too. I'm pretty sure I chirped the tires out of the dealership. :) I'm about at about 16000 miles and it still drives like a champ. It's an awesome car, you'll enjoy the hell out it. Real fun to drive!
And trust me that's even what the sales guys at the dealership by my house is saying that once I actually start hitting VTEC it'll be so much nicer take a different Honda world so to speak

When I got my '13 si I had to drive it 5 hours each trip on the hwy to go to work. I drove 45 minutes to an hour in 5th then went to 6 th and back to 5th and so on so I could vary the revs. I also revd well into v tech when passing or merging so my car had a less than optimal break in according to some, but I find it pulls a little harder a little sooner than my dads '12 si

When I got my '13 si I had to drive it 5 hours each trip on the hwy to go to work. I drove 45 minutes to an hour in 5th then went to 6 th and back to 5th and so on so I could vary the revs. I also revd well into v tech when passing or merging so my car had a less than optimal break in according to some, but I find it pulls a little harder a little sooner than my dads '12 si
I really don't need to pull into VTech however because the engine is so strong with a k24 z7 engine that by the time youim hitting VTEC you are doing 75 miles per hour. Usually shifting at 3400 rpm. Anyway.

I really don't need to pull into VTech however because the engine is so strong with a k24 z7 engine that by the time youim hitting VTEC you are doing 75 miles per hour. Usually shifting at 3400 rpm. Anyway.
I shift about the same during regular driving. But merging is always a good opportunity to take it up a little higher

Back