Broken lug/wheel stud replacement

Twitch

Levittown, NY
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Coupe
So I somehow cross threaded a lug/wheel stud and sheared one in half. I need to replace the stud and I'll replace all 5 since the wheel hub will be disassembled. The question is, OEM or Aftermarket since I'm in there? Also, does anyone know which ones are on/fit a 2012 EX? CHH shows 4 different brands.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442756008.117299.jpg

Any recommendations?

I know on some models the studs in the back are larger in diameter than the ones in the front, you could go to a dealer or even auto parts store and they'd be able to tell you

I've asked CHH about this same scenario on other parts in the past. They told me it's all the same thing, but the part is just made from a different company. He just said they may have 3 suppliers or whatever for the same part. You could call and see which one they have in stock, but it should be identical.

Thanks @webby. That's makes sense.

Would it be worth upgrading them? I don't track my car, I just drive very aggressively.

I don't see them being a real weak point. I haven't seen anyone talk about them breaking, and we have a lot of people running turbos/sc. I'd say just replace with oem.

A rule of thumb(and forefinger)........ Start with putting nuts on with your fingers, and checking that they turn free..... then finish with a torque wrench.......

That's how I do them. I tighten them as far as I can go by hand and give them a final tighten with the torque wrench. Also limits the amount of scuffing to the wheel and lug nuts since I have black ones. I'm not sure how it bound up, all I know is that it did. I knew it was caught and I tried to get it out and it just didn't work. My wheel hubs do get quite a lot if corrosion. I clean them whenever I have the wheels off but it's possible I didn't clean that one well enough.

That's how I do them. I tighten them as far as I can go by hand and give them a final tighten with the torque wrench. Also limits the amount of scuffing to the wheel and lug nuts since I have black ones. I'm not sure how it bound up, all I know is that it did. I knew it was caught and I tried to get it out and it just didn't work. My wheel hubs do get quite a lot if corrosion. I clean them whenever I have the wheels off but it's possible I didn't clean that one well enough.
That leaves two things that might be the culprit........ the torque wrench could be wrong(or information on what it should be torqued at).... And that it's a thick walled socket that binds in the wheels log nut hole........ about all I can think of........

I torque to 80lbs. I'm betting I damaged the thread along the way. My wheels come on and off a lot and I probably bent a thread when I clumsily put them back on once or twice. That's why I just replace all 5 in the hub when I break one.

Come to think of it I snapped one on my 2001 civic too and that car I never touched the tires. I was in college and always had my car serviced by my tech. I was changing a flat one day and one lug got jammed. It's probably me. I've been told I can be a bit of a gorilla when I'm impatient/hungry/tired.

Back