Can't shift to 135

Shagydishapopo

On my way home, I took a turn while I was on 1st gear and hit a dip. I shifted to 2nd the same time I hit the dip. The car slammed a bit and after that I was stuck at 2nd. Slowed down and put it on neutral tried all my gears and I could not get in to 1 3 5 gears it felt like a wall was blocking it but 2 4 6 and R are smooth. Had my uncle and I check the car. I have BC short shifter with Hybrid racing bushings. I have prl SRI so its not hitting the clutch. Clutch line was intact and no signs of leaks. Tested the shifter cables and they were fine. Were thinking transmission. Just want to see if anyone experienced this and how you fixed it?

Update post #10
I took it to the dealers and they said it was the cable's lock nut that had come loose and needs to be replaced. They were going to charge me $300+ for the part and $700 for labor. Said NO. They did manage to let me shift 135 again but they said it will lock me out eventually. While waiting to order the part, it has blocked me from the gears about 4 times now and I noticed that when I leave the car parked on 2nd for a couple of hours and go in R then go N, it lets me use all the gears again. I don't know why but my guess is that it stretches the cable back in place. Good temporary fix if the car is your DD. Hope this helps

@brown_bear had this happen on his even gears 2/4/6. They replaced his shifter cables and it fixed it.

I was hoping it was only the cables. We took it off and tested the cables if it pulls and it was fine.

They may pull fine , but they could be stretched/bent. Numerous 8th gen members had them stretched and they couldn't get into either even or odd numbered gears. Same results after replacing them.

I would try the top of the gear box, where the cables attach, and see if you can row it through the gears with your hand.

tried that too. It would go in manually to 2nd 4rd 6th and rev but on 1st 3rd and 5th it like blocked.

tried that too. It would go in manually to 2nd 4rd 6th and rev but on 1st 3rd and 5th it like blocked.
Ok well that seems pretty relevant, you've narrowed it down to something in the gear box. I'd start by pulling that top piece off. There's a diy if you search for MTEC shifter springs. It's not quick or easy, took me a few hours to swap my shifter springs. I'm not saying it has anything to do with the springs, but that's just a useful DIY for getting into that area.
And that's top piece which comes out, is your last hope. If the problem isn't there, it's in the depths of the transmission.

Last edited:
ill look that up ^. thanks for the help. Im planning to take it to the dealership, should I remove the Short shift and bushings.

Dealer may be able to say aftermarket parts caused the failure. We've had plenty of brand new cars with aftermarket suspension or whatever and refused warranty work. It sucks but it's just the dealer protecting itself and employees.

Update. I took it to the dealers and they said it was the cable's lock nut that had come loose and needs to be replaced. They were going to charge me $300+ for the part and $700 for labor. Said NO. They did manage to let me shift 135 again but they said it will lock me out eventually. While waiting to order the part, it has blocked me from the gears about 4 times now and I noticed that when I leave the car parked on 2nd for a couple of hours and go in R then go N, it lets me use all the gears again. I don't know why but my guess is that it stretches the cable back in place. Good temporary fix if the car is your DD. Hope this helps

Have you checked out the cables/bushings where the short shifter/bushings were installed to see if everything looks ok? It sounds like the shifter might not aligned correctly causing the cables to not be in the correct position to hit the odd gears.

Back